XRD Ford Raptor Expedition Bed Cage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This rack looks very nice and extremely functional.
The only thing I'm not keen on is the way the tire gets bolted down.

3.jpg

I'm not a fan of the 3 bolts sticking up in the air especially that high.
Someone walking into the bed trips and falls on those bolts when the tire is not on could do some major damage.
Also if those bolts were not their or in the way you could have more free space to haul stuff without really having to remove that tire holder."BONUS"
I personally would like to see a wing nut style or you could also have say 2 or 3 bolts that would be long enough to screw down
into the tire holder with say a socket guide to help you align the bolts into there holes.
Drill 3 holes and weld the nuts under the tire rack instead.
Just a thought for safety and remember this is just my opinion.
I'm always a freak about someone getting hurt and always want to make things as safe as possible.
I'm sure most people won't trip but there is always that one time when shit happens and it's good to avoid.

Still, very nice "Quality" work and I love it how everything looks so neat and organized.

Ahh yes, the part I muddled over for a few weeks as I have a 13yr old and worry about safety with things like this as well. No matter how hard I try; 5 weeks ago he fell riding his bike from school. Well, he fell just right and broke his Ulna at the elbow while dislocating his radius at the same time. 20k later...

Back on subject; It ultimately came down to cost. There was also a question of how to make the tire stable and not waddle around, as they are stupid heavy, remembering to keep with the bolt in bolt out theme while have it as light weight as possible. This meant dispersing the weight some how and thus the design. I may fab one with it up in the future with a wing nut, if I find one that keeps the tire low, and doesn't raise it so weight can be dispersed down to the bars evenly. BTW, This doesn't mean that you have to go with this system. You can omit getting the spare tire attachement and go wing nut style and anchor it to the bed.

Now with that said, I have been thinking about your exact observation for some time now, in regards to the idea, of having the nuts on the base and the three bolts individually screw down into said base using the top plate as a guide; thus allowing it to stay in bed but having a flat surface to throw stuff on. It would even be better for shipping but this would mean more pieces laying around for when you remove the tire. I will be fabing one up to play around with though and do some "testing" ... maybe call it Ironman's spare tire :)

Really depends on interest...

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Ahh yes, the part I muddled over for a few weeks as I have a 13yr old and worry about safety with things like this as well. No matter how hard I try; 5 weeks ago he fell riding his bike from school. Well, he fell just right and broke his Ulna at the elbow while dislocating his radius at the same time. 20k later...

Back on subject; It ultimately came down to cost. There was also a question of how to make the tire stable and not waddle around, as they are stupid heavy, remembering to keep with the bolt in bolt out theme while have it as light weight as possible. This meant dispersing the weight some how and thus the design. I may fab one with it up in the future with a wing nut, if I find one that keeps the tire low, and doesn't raise it so weight can be dispersed down to the bars evenly. BTW, This doesn't mean that you have to go with this system. You can omit getting the spare tire attachement and go wing nut style and anchor it to the bed.

Now with that said, I have been thinking about your exact observation for some time now, in regards to the idea, of having the nuts on the base and the three bolts individually screw down into said base using the top plate as a guide; thus allowing it to stay in bed but having a flat surface to throw stuff on. It would even be better for shipping but this would mean more pieces laying around for when you remove the tire. I will be fabing one up to play around with though and do some "testing" ... maybe call it Ironman's spare tire :)

Really depends on interest...

3.jpg

Maybe have those 3 long rods with the 3 lug nuts welded to the rods.
Drill a hole in the side of the lug nuts and weld to the rods.
Then insert those 3 "bolts" now into your XRD mounting plate and from under weld 3 more bolts to the bottom attached to the bolts.
This way those rods will always be attached to the plate but they'll spin still when tightening it down.
Leave a small space to allow the bolts to turn freely.

Just a thought. You could build your own wing nuts, I did.
Might be WAYYYYYY cheaper them buying from someone and have it as a option.

20121214_220332_zpsa7a7aa28.jpg

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would agree the only thing I didn't like about this build is the 3 nuts you would have to put on off for the wheel. granted It probably would not be in the truck if the tire is not on it. The only time it would be exposed is when you need a tire and getting the one off and the old back on that the 3 would be sticking up. I'm lazy and would definitely have a wing nut type set up so if I wanted to leave it I could.

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and we'll see if there's a drive to reverse the system a bit and or maybe do a wing nut type deal. But it's one of those things you have to see to appreciate/understand. You don't have to dead lift the tire btw, it actually just lifts right up on it's side without trouble - don't think I mentioned this.

*Bonus*

And right now it's a personal defense/impale'r and a rotisserie all in one! Take it off, hang a few pieces of meat on the bolts and WALA! :cool:

Party on!

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like this set up but I would like to have a two tire mount system, so I'm in a big pickle with XRD's bedrack and Saints Offroad's rack system.

OP
OP
DIRTYFUN

DIRTYFUN

Xpedition Ready Design
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up :p -

Going to be producing a few in the next few weeks. Will post some pictures up when I can.

Dirty