Worked on it a bit today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI ... I believe switches 1 and 2 have a higher amperage rating than the other switches on the over head panel. I don’t remember the specs.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI ... I believe switches 1 and 2 have a higher amperage rating than the other switches on the over head panel. I don’t remember the specs.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you’re correct that different switches have different amps but if my electrical memory still works, as long as the draw doesn’t exceed the amp, it’s fine.

Louscrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Stevedm. I felt the same about the cost of lights. So like a lot of the things on my wish list, that's all it was.

I just ordered a set too
haha, me too! Figured I better hurry before the stock gets cleared out.

Received mine the next day and way before I received the automotive connectors I also ordered.
Soooo... not willing to wait, installed them and temporarily wired them up using some 18AWG Red/Blk zip cord to AUX 1 (15Amp).

I did some bench testing first to measure the current draw:
11V = 1.1A
12V = 1.0A
13V = .98A
Basically 12 to 13 watts per cube, not 18 watts as advertised but still way too bright to look at. The detectable drop in light output begins at 10.8V down to 8.5V where it might work as a standard driving/fog light intensity.
Will have to look into making a switchable circuit for that. Maybe.

I took it out to the back of my local Home depot building and did my final aiming adjustments at about 100' from the wall. Since the lights are all spot patterns, I spread them out side by side in an inverted V shape inline with the headlight height.
The brightness was good but had parking lot lights nearby that blended in too. Dark residential streets lit up real nice though.

Now I have to make a trip into the desert to see how they really look and if my adjusted pattern sucks.
I'll decide how to configure them separately on the upfitters once the real connectors come in.

New lights.jpg

Scott Holcomb

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Stevedm. I felt the same about the cost of lights. So like a lot of the things on my wish list, that's all it was.

haha, me too! Figured I better hurry before the stock gets cleared out.

Received mine the next day and way before I received the automotive connectors I also ordered.
Soooo... not willing to wait, installed them and temporarily wired them up using some 18AWG Red/Blk zip cord to AUX 1 (15Amp).

I did some bench testing first to measure the current draw:
11V = 1.1A
12V = 1.0A
13V = .98A
Basically 12 to 13 watts per cube, not 18 watts as advertised but still way too bright to look at. The detectable drop in light output begins at 10.8V down to 8.5V where it might work as a standard driving/fog light intensity.
Will have to look into making a switchable circuit for that. Maybe.

I took it out to the back of my local Home depot building and did my final aiming adjustments at about 100' from the wall. Since the lights are all spot patterns, I spread them out side by side in an inverted V shape inline with the headlight height.
The brightness was good but had parking lot lights nearby that blended in too. Dark residential streets lit up real nice though.

Now I have to make a trip into the desert to see how they really look and if my adjusted pattern sucks.
I'll decide how to configure them separately on the upfitters once the real connectors come in.

View attachment 135888
Love that look, I have a Ruby Red as well and am going to look into this next. Ordered my Bak Flip MX4 and it should be here tomorrow.

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They came today. I installed them in a couple of hours and that included a trip to the store to get wire to make a harness.

followed your install instructions and the first side took 15 min and the second side took 5 min.

I wired 2 to aux 1, 2 to aux 2 and 2 to aux 3.

the wiring took the longest with running the ground and then the 3 hots.

biggest pain in the ass was the upfitters. The instructions in the supplemental was wrong. My hots were where the right, not the left so I had to wire it twice. At least the colors were correct. With my 18, he hots were on the left and the colors were wrong.

Only used the ground from the supplied harness. Had to cut it at the relay and pull it from the tube.

pretty bright for sure.

OP
OP
S

Stevedm

Reaction score
They came today. I installed them in a couple of hours and that included a trip to the store to get wire to make a harness.

followed your install instructions and the first side took 15 min and the second side took 5 min.

I wired 2 to aux 1, 2 to aux 2 and 2 to aux 3.

the wiring took the longest with running the ground and then the 3 hots.

biggest pain in the ass was the upfitters. The instructions in the supplemental was wrong. My hots were where the right, not the left so I had to wire it twice. At least the colors were correct. With my 18, he hots were on the left and the colors were wrong.

Only used the ground from the supplied harness. Had to cut it at the relay and pull it from the tube.

pretty bright for sure.

Nice. Post some pictures if you get a chance.