Winter Fuel Economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you that never ran 35” tires, this will be new you. Those of you that are in below freezing weather, will see 6-8 lbs less. Do not add air or you will be overflatted at the end of the day.

If you are running snow tires or more aggressive tread pattern that will drop mileage by 1 to 2 MPG.

I noticed that my 2017 SCREW seems to get better MPG on Regular 87 vs Supreme 93. Could that be because the truck retunes itself for better performance on 93 Octane?

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On top of cold air makes lower psi in tires it also is compressed. So that helps hp, gives better throttle response time and overall makes the truck peppier which in return makes it harder for me to keep my foot out of it. But I run my tire psi at 35 and cold mornings could be 31. Tire pressure always makes a difference on drag. Run 100-110 mph for 10 minutes and you will see the tire pressure climb. I air down to 22 when rock crawling and if I don’t air up before I hit the payment my truck feels like I’m pulling a trailer.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are running snow tires or more aggressive tread pattern that will drop mileage by 1 to 2 MPG.

I noticed that my 2017 SCREW seems to get better MPG on Regular 87 vs Supreme 93. Could that be because the truck retunes itself for better performance on 93 Octane?
The truck is tuned for 87-89 so 93 will speed up the timeing and the truck won’t respond with better fuel economy. A tuner will change that plus help with the shift patterns to get you to higher gear faster.
Plus running 4 wheel drive causes drag and will effect you mpg by 3

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck is tuned for 87-89 so 93 will speed up the timeing and the truck won’t respond with better fuel economy. A tuner will change that plus help with the shift patterns to get you to higher gear faster.
Plus running 4 wheel drive causes drag and will effect you mpg by 3
I thought they were tuned for 91 as it’s recommended ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they were tuned for 91 as it’s recommended ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 2013 6.2 and was referring to my engine. If your truck can take the e85 then it is not tuned for 91. If you live in Colorado then 91 is the highest you can get in most of the state because altitude starts to play a roll.

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an idea to help you guys up north. Frankly I don’t care about gas milage or I would have not bought this beast. I tow and off road so much that I hardly have a whole 36 gallon tank of just hwy.