GEN 2 Windshield rock chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to one of my company cars about 10 years back. I was on a big open highway with nobody remotely around me and a rock cracked my windshield. I had no idea how that could happen until the owner of the glass shop told me how you can fling a rock out of your own tire. I had never heard it of it before then. At first I was thinking maybe a kid with a pellet gun had shot the windshield.

Luckily mine was just a chip, but when it happened, I wasn't even upset, but curious what the odds were of that. Maybe we should go to Vegas.

If its jut a chip that has no chance in turning into a spreading crack, I just leave them be. Not worth the time to fix a chip each time it happens.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Luckily mine was just a chip, but when it happened, I wasn't even upset, but curious what the odds were of that. Maybe we should go to Vegas.

If its jut a chip that has no chance in turning into a spreading crack, I just leave them be. Not worth the time to fix a chip each time it happens.

Mine immediately spider webbed about 6" when it hit. That's why I was wondering if someone might have shot it! Really weird when nobody is within a 1/2 mile of you.

Cherry Ghost

Reaction score
The pellet/bb gun thing happened to me about two months ago. Driving along in the fast lane with no one in front of me and no one in the lane to my right. All of a sudden, I hear something on the front passenger side that sounded like a plastic water bottle being crinkled. I then see a perfectly roundish indention on the passenger side window that immediately spidered in every direction. The window repair shop confirmed it was most likely a pellet/bb gun and that I was the 3rd truck in the last month he’d seen with the same damage. Mean streets of North Texas, I guess.

Two weeks later a small rock chipped the windshield. The truck had less than 7k miles. FML.

Rollofire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had Safelite replace the front windshield on my wife's Lexus GX, after the first rain I found out the new windshield was kinda warped in 2 places. The wipers didn't touch in 2 places because that area was lower, very weird so I had them replace it an the next one was good.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had Safelite replace the front windshield on my wife's Lexus GX, after the first rain I found out the new windshield was kinda warped in 2 places. The wipers didn't touch in 2 places because that area was lower, very weird so I had them replace it an the next one was good.

If you think of it in the future, you have the right to request an OEM windshield, especially if it's an insurance job.

Raptor50

Reaction score
After driving my new '20 Raptor home, my first trip on the highway was to Adams Polish for Ceramic and Clear bra. within 2 min of getting on the highway, I got a chip in the windshield. Couldn't believe it, I've lived here 18 months and no chips on my other cars. Still debating who to use to get it fixed....

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After driving my new '20 Raptor home, my first trip on the highway was to Adams Polish for Ceramic and Clear bra. within 2 min of getting on the highway, I got a chip in the windshield. Couldn't believe it, I've lived here 18 months and no chips on my other cars. Still debating who to use to get it fixed....

I would strongly recommend finding the best local independent shop. Ask at the best body shop you know, or see who the dealers use. Safelite has some good installers, but they also have a lot of hacks I wouldn't let touch my stuff. At a mom & pop it's not a crap shoot who does your repair.

I have a close friend who just retired from his glass shop after 55 years, so I've learned a fair amount about it. Safelite has pretty low standards as a company as far as their installers. They want them done fast. You are rolling the dice if you will get a good installer that came from, and was trained at, a good indie shop, or some hack kid that doesn't give a crap and just wants to knock out the job and move on.

venraptav

Reaction score
I would strongly recommend finding the best local independent shop. Ask at the best body shop you know, or see who the dealers use. Safelite has some good installers, but they also have a lot of hacks I wouldn't let touch my stuff. At a mom & pop it's not a crap shoot who does your repair.

I have a close friend who just retired from his glass shop after 55 years, so I've learned a fair amount about it. Safelite has pretty low standards as a company as far as their installers. They want them done fast. You are rolling the dice if you will get a good installer that came from, and was trained at, a good indie shop, or some hack kid that doesn't give a crap and just wants to knock out the job and move on.

This is 100% on point. I just found a local installer on Friday to replace my windshield that a Safelite tech (young kid) cracked while attempting a repair.

The local guy was stoked to work on a Raptor and took his time and was meticulous. He understood the value of a happy customer and a professional job leading to future business.

2020Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Safelite with my last car to repair a crack.
The guy said that if they break the windshield in the process,
it is not their responsibility.
I drove away.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Safelite with my last car to repair a crack.
The guy said that if they break the windshield in the process,
it is not their responsibility.
I drove away.

yeah, it's called a disclaimer bro. In the unlikely, but possible, chance that happens.

you know, like with every other place that does that type of work.