Will Raptor R be limited?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider... If Ford does it like RAM to handle the HP it will be full time AWD to handle the torque reliably. So 12-13 mpg is where it's at. Before you hoohaa mileage schmileage assuming similar to a current SCAB all they can put in is 25ish gallons unless they get real creative all you'd have is a 300 mile range at best. Could be a consideration on a weekend outing unless you tow a gas trailer. So to be like dad... A V8 sounds like fun son, but count the cost.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thing to consider... If Ford does it like RAM to handle the HP it will be full time AWD to handle the torque reliably. So 12-13 mpg is where it's at. Before you hoohaa mileage schmileage assuming similar to a current SCAB all they can put in is 25ish gallons unless they get real creative all you'd have is a 300 mile range at best. Could be a consideration on a weekend outing unless you tow a gas trailer. So to be like dad... A V8 sounds like fun son, but count the cost.

They're only building SCREWs, so I think it's fair to assume a 36 gallon tank. There's nothing about changing the engine that reduces room for a gas tank.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ram did that b/c they didn’t take the time to engineer it to handle true 4wd & 2wd w/ that power plant

given there are all kinds of gen2 Raptors out w/ various mods & a tune alone will net you +50-100hp, 550hp/620tq (at the crank anyhow) ain’t too far off the 700 or so the TRX already makes

Also considering A version of this 10 speed tranny is also used in both Ford & GMs heavy duty pickups that produce 450hp or so but more importantly like 1000tq.....if they do use that tranny & some modified version of the current transfer case I’m sure it’d be fine

Since Ram is using a ZF 8 speed in like everything, and they employed AWD instead of 4wd/2wd w/ it when they did the trackhawk....guessing that’s one area they (Ram) are considering a weak point. They have a heavier duty tRanny in the lineup but it’s a 6 speed for the HD trucks & im sure they don’t wanna be FOUR gears down on the Raptor + I bet that 6 speed wouldn’t be so well suited to a performance platform either. They do have bigger HP applications for the ZF 8 speed but they’re RWD only.

So bottom line- I have no doubt a version of the 10 speed in the current gen2 raptor & ‘21 F150 would be suitable for 760hp in a Raptor R......while mating it to the same type of transfer case/4wd setup currently available, wet clutch allowing “true AWD”, 2wd, 4hi & 4lo.

But you’re asking the wrong question- the right question would be, of course it’s gonna have 4wd/2wd/awd- are they also gonna give it a version of the dual clutch tranny from the GT500 too w/ 4WD & will they offer carbon fiber bead locks lol!

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ram did that b/c they didn’t take the time to engineer it to handle true 4wd & 2wd w/ that power plant

given there are all kinds of gen2 Raptors out w/ various mods & a tune alone will net you +50-100hp, 550hp/620tq (at the crank anyhow) ain’t too far off the 700 or so the TRX already makes

Also considering A version of this 10 speed tranny is also used in both Ford & GMs heavy duty pickups that produce 450hp or so but more importantly like 1000tq.....if they do use that tranny & some modified version of the current transfer case I’m sure it’d be fine

Since Ram is using a ZF 8 speed in like everything, and they employed AWD instead of 4wd/2wd w/ it when they did the trackhawk....guessing that’s one area they (Ram) are considering a weak point. They have a heavier duty tRanny in the lineup but it’s a 6 speed for the HD trucks & im sure they don’t wanna be FOUR gears down on the Raptor + I bet that 6 speed wouldn’t be so well suited to a performance platform either. They do have bigger HP applications for the ZF 8 speed but they’re RWD only.

So bottom line- I have no doubt a version of the 10 speed in the current gen2 raptor & ‘21 F150 would be suitable for 760hp in a Raptor R......while mating it to the same type of transfer case/4wd setup currently available, wet clutch allowing “true AWD”, 2wd, 4hi & 4lo.

But you’re asking the wrong question- the right question would be, of course it’s gonna have 4wd/2wd/awd- are they also gonna give it a version of the dual clutch tranny from the GT500 too w/ 4WD & will they offer carbon fiber bead locks lol!

I think you can simply look at it this way. If Ford made the Raptor R full time AWD, it would already have a downgraded strike against it. As compared to the standard Raptor with it being 2WD capable. Can’t remove any previous modes.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you can simply look at it this way. If Ford made the Raptor R full time AWD, it would already have a downgraded strike against it. As compared to the standard Raptor with it being 2WD capable. Can’t remove any previous modes.

Or.....ahhhh.....maybe the reason they didn’t make their actual offroad vehicle an offroad vehicle when they hellcatified it as showing their hand slightly & then when they did it AGAIN we can safely assume the ZF 8 speed (& whatever transfer case/torque converters they assigned to it) is simply not up to true 4wd/2wd application.

that’s what I was guessing years ago when they did what they did w/ the “trackhawk”.....

If the 10 speed, yolk/pinion, torque converter, transfer case & any other running gear Ford is using in the HD trucks is good enough for 4wd/2wd- let alone the power the gen2 raptor already routes through it, I don’t doubt whatever they’re going to do w/ the Raptor-R won’t be up to *****

But yeah- I do agree w/ you, after seeing what Ram put out, 0% chance Ford compromises one bit- the R will be able to do whatever the “base” can as far as tranny/drive mode selections go & then some I’m sure.

I reeeeaaaallllly think it’s possible Ford puts bigger turbos on the base & the R has the dual clutch tranny

And I was in Dearborn last week.....

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or.....ahhhh.....maybe the reason they didn’t make their actual offroad vehicle an offroad vehicle when they hellcatified it as showing their hand slightly & then when they did it AGAIN we can safely assume the ZF 8 speed (& whatever transfer case/torque converters they assigned to it) is simply not up to true 4wd/2wd application.

that’s what I was guessing years ago when they did what they did w/ the “trackhawk”.....

If the 10 speed, yolk/pinion, torque converter, transfer case & any other running gear Ford is using in the HD trucks is good enough for 4wd/2wd- let alone the power the gen2 raptor already routes through it, I don’t doubt whatever they’re going to do w/ the Raptor-R won’t be up to *****

But yeah- I do agree w/ you, after seeing what Ram put out, 0% chance Ford compromises one bit- the R will be able to do whatever the “base” can as far as tranny/drive mode selections go & then some I’m sure.

I reeeeaaaallllly think it’s possible Ford puts bigger turbos on the base & the R has the dual clutch tranny

And I was in Dearborn last week.....

Agree on a lot yes. No way Ford “tunes” the base Gen 3 and doesn’t crank up any HP/TQ numbers. And I will tell you why. The ‘21 F-150 3.5 is up 25HP and over 35TQ. Now the Raptor can be had with 37’s and who wants a Gen 3 with 37’s slower than a Gen 2? And who wants a Gen 3 with the same peak numbers as a Gen 2? Minimum of +25HP/30-50TQ if not more.