Will 2018's have a V-8 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's going to be real interesting to see what sales look like the first 6 months.....

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If Ford had a TTV8, they would have previewed that in the GT. The fact that their supercar was shown with an EcoBoost V6 tells me they don't have anything. If they did, that would have been the PERFECT place to show it off.

The Raptor really needs a lightweight power plant, and the EcoBoost HO is the perfect lightweight engine (lots of torque down low, big top-end power potential).

In all of he Ford lineup, I can't see another engine platform that would work better. You could reinforce the Coyote motor a bunch and add a supercharger or turbos, but that has nowhere to go (other than maybe in the GT). The Voodoo engine won't work (designed as a high-revving NA motor from the start).

I don't even see a Ford crate engine making more than 500hp.? From a business standpoint, I don't see what motor they could use...?

Maybe a performance diesel! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GT is getting a 3.5V6TT due to class rules at Le Mans, which was the whole point of creating the car.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If Ford had a TTV8, they would have previewed that in the GT. The fact that their supercar was shown with an EcoBoost V6 tells me they don't have anything. If they did, that would have been the PERFECT place to show it off.

The Raptor really needs a lightweight power plant, and the EcoBoost HO is the perfect lightweight engine (lots of torque down low, big top-end power potential).

In all of he Ford lineup, I can't see another engine platform that would work better. You could reinforce the Coyote motor a bunch and add a supercharger or turbos, but that has nowhere to go (other than maybe in the GT). The Voodoo engine won't work (designed as a high-revving NA motor from the start).

I don't even see a Ford crate engine making more than 500hp.? From a business standpoint, I don't see what motor they could use...?

You mention lightweight engine as the v6, I'm just curious if the lack of 2 cyls is a weight savings when you have to add on the weight of the turbos and extra plumbing? Does this save weight and space in the long run? I know ford and the world is looking at the future and energy savings, is this part of the solution? So many questions, lol

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure the eco is any lighter than the 6.2l.

I believe the current 3.5l eco is 559 lbs (for the kit). Not sure what the new one will be.
Haven't found the weight on the 6.2l. Once I saw 590 but not sure if that's it and if that's just the engine or similar kit.

Last edited:

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
You mention lightweight engine as the v6, I'm just curious if the lack of 2 cyls is a weight savings when you have to add on the weight of the turbos and extra plumbing? Does this save weight and space in the long run? I know ford and the world is looking at the future and energy savings, is this part of the solution? So many questions, lol

The engine alone will be lighter (6.2 is a big 'ol iron block), but if you put in a WAY more powerful motor (600-700hp TTV8) then the entire TRUCK had to get heavier... Bigger axles, shocks, transfer case, etc. Everything moves in proportion. Trophy trucks are VERY heavy, partially because they make SO much power! I'd bet every 100hp adds 1000lbs to the truck... My guess only.

You could put in a V8 that makes the SAME power, and that may be lighter, but it wouldn't make the same torque.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I personally don't think the engine/transmission combo will be more than a few pounds lighter. You're adding twin turbos, an intercooler and the extra fluids, all the extra air plumbing, plus those massive DOHC heads.

Really wish Ford would release some real data on this point. Suspect there is a reason they have not.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score

2012 SEMA Cobra Jet Concept had a TT 5.0. The new Cobra Jets use SC'd 5.0s.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The engine alone will be lighter (6.2 is a big 'ol iron block), but if you put in a WAY more powerful motor (600-700hp TTV8) then the entire TRUCK had to get heavier... Bigger axles, shocks, transfer case, etc. Everything moves in proportion. Trophy trucks are VERY heavy, partially because they make SO much power! I'd bet every 100hp adds 1000lbs to the truck... My guess only.

You could put in a V8 that makes the SAME power, and that may be lighter, but it wouldn't make the same torque.

Um what's the difference if it's v6 hp or V8 hp lol. My thinking is v6 maxed out all the time. V8 just cruising

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
Um what's the difference if it's v6 hp or V8 hp lol. My thinking is v6 maxed out all the time. V8 just cruising

I was thinking of you scaled-up from the current V6 hp estimates to a V8 based on cylinder count you'd end up with way more power (450hp*8/6=600hp).

Also, the V6 has plenty of power for just cruising. It only takes about 100hp to cruise at 80mph. You can get that from a V6 but without the parasitic losses of the extra 2 cylinders.

I think we all could agree that Ford _could_ have built a TTV8. They've certainly got the skills! I think they just don't have anywhere else to use it...