GEN 2 Why does this thing have to be a *************?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Nearing 40k and same. Well, I did have the tcase seal leak, not sure if bad part from factory or por15 I accidentally got on it.

I've seen 4 trucks with over 120k and no issues. One is a friend that does a lot of hunting and offroading, so he's put the truck through its paces.

4 Gen 2s with over 120k miles? Lol that is more miles than what most Gen 1 owners have on their trucks.

Which just highlights how bad the crap-02s are, seeing as a more aggressive tire is better in just about every way, and comparable in the two ways it differs.

The KO2s are not crap. The reason they spin in wet conditions (and in part burn tread so quick) is the power distribution to the tires on the Gen 2. That’s why you have to drive in 4A and/or 4WD so often. In a Gen 1, you hardly ever have to put it in 4WD on road. Moreover, the stock leaf springs suck on the Raptor too, which doesn’t help with wheel spin.

In addition to the problem above, Ford choose a C range tire to help with the MPG results. Once you switch to a D or E range KO2, the MPGs will drop. But the tread life and robustness of the tire will improve.

BFG makes the best DOT and NON-DOT off-road tires. Anyone who goes to Baja regularly will tell you that. The KM3 is the best DOT MT out there right now and the KO2 is still one of the best DOT AT out there.

I have been all across North America—from the Arctic Circle in Alaska and Canada to Florida and lots of places in between—and have never had a blow out or problem with my BFGs. I wouldn’t run anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 Gen 2s with over 120k miles? Lol that is more miles than what most Gen 1 owners have on their trucks.

The KO2s are not crap. The reason they spin in wet conditions (and in part burn tread so quick) is the power distribution to the tires on the Gen 2. That’s why you have to drive in 4A and/or 4WD so often. In a Gen 1, you hardly ever have to put it in 4WD on road. Moreover, the stock leaf springs suck on the Raptor too, which doesn’t help with wheel spin.

In addition to the problem above, Ford choose a C range tire to help with the MPG results. Once you switch to a D or E range KO2, the MPGs will drop. But the tread life and robustness of the tire will improve.

BFG makes the best DOT and NON-DOT off-road tires. Anyone who goes to Baja regularly will tell you that. The KM3 is the best DOT MT out there right now and the KO is still one of the best DOT AT out there.

I have been all across North America—from the Arctic Circle in Alaska and Canada to Florida and lots of places in between—and have never had a blow out or problem with my BFGs. I wouldn’t run anything else.
This

So much this.

I’ve had zero problems with traction here in SE Minnesota this winter. 4A is a must or the rear end will just break loose.

If the MU rating of the road surface is less than 20, ain’t no tire gonna make you not slide around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had issues with the tires as well. The BFGs are garbage in my experience. Never had a set (and I have had at least a dozen) that haven’t been disappointing. At 16k miles, with no suspension mods and rotations Every 4K miles, I needed new tires because they were cupping and feathering. Disgusting. I’ll get Toyos next, they have warranties and I’ve never had issues with them

Whatever. For every bad experience of yours there are thousands who are very happy with the all-around capabilities of the BFGs

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had issues with the tires as well. The BFGs are garbage in my experience. Never had a set (and I have had at least a dozen) that haven’t been disappointing. At 16k miles, with no suspension mods and rotations Every 4K miles, I needed new tires because they were cupping and feathering. Disgusting. I’ll get Toyos next, they have warranties and I’ve never had issues with them

What’s actually really funny about this is the dude says he bought a dozen sets of tires that all had the same issue.

1) Who keeps buying something they had issues with.

2) sounds like user error.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the Tremor comes stock with 35” Duratracs, which would you rather have stock on the Raptor, KO2s or Duratracs? Both are at light weight 35..

I have absolutely no way to quantify this, but I would have to believe that at least 99.9% of all Combined Gen2 Raptor mileage is on the road vs off-road.

I got 35" Load E Duratracs, next time I will get 315 duratracs, load D rated, same size, but better ride at the sacrifice if less durability.

Flash1034

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must be the minority here but I really like how the stock BFGs ride, are wearing, and how they look.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
I must be the minority here but I really like how the stock BFGs ride, are wearing, and how they look.
Ditto...wouldn't buy anything else...get different load rated BFG if need be....all others are a crap shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.