Why Did 2014 Raptor with Supercharger Explodes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph

Reaction score
I have (had) a 2014 Raptor with a whipple supercharger installed by the dealer. It had less than 30,000 miles. I had it into the dealer 14 days before it exploded. They put in a new spark plug cable and spark plug due to what they said was a spark plug that had exploded. I was driving the truck only for the second time when it made an explosion sound and the cab filled with smoke. Then something under the front of the car was on fire and then the entire engine compartment exploded and then burned violently. This melted the entire front part of the truck. Any idea why or how this would happen? I am asking because now it is time to replace this truck and I am wondering if I should or should NOT get another supercharged version.

Topgunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you take it in?

How did they know a plug "exploded"?

Did you ask them if they fished out the parts of the plug that exploded into the chamber?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Spark plugs do not explode they detonate often from poor fuel quality, lack of fuel delivery, or extreme heat like say if your intercooler pump failed. There are more exact reasons but based on the fact the supercharger was on the truck for 30K miles with out issue makes me think it was bad fuel or a failed intercooler pump leading to extreme Intake Air Temperatures. Being it's winter time makes me lean toward bad fuel. Fuel quality deteriorates in the winter due to changes in the blends like additional ethanol and additives. This makes the truck run lean or more aggressive and more chance of detonation.

Detonation on the spark plugs could have sent material into the engine ultimately leading to piston failure, ring failure, damaged valves, etc.. This would make the truck run rough, a damaged cylinder is very similar to a fouled spark plug. So I ask, after the dealer installed a new plug and coil did it run better or still a little rough? If it was still rough the damage was already done and you drove it until it failed completely.

Also what plugs did they install? The factory plugs are a hotter heat range than the recommended NGK 6510's and require a tighter than stock gap setting.

We've supercharged hundreds of Raptors and I must say I've never heard a story quite like this. However I could see it being the case if poor fuel quality was at hand or a failed intercooler pump. But being it's the Winter time and that is less likely I'm betting the farm you got a bad tank of gas.

JimIII

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like it kicked a Rod (from detonation) and blew a hole in the side of the block causing oil to leak onto hot exhaust and ignite.