Who’s got the highest mileage raptor eco boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dawg

Reaction score
Had a 2017. Took it in for 1st oil change at 5,000 miles. It stated 3 qts low on oil on service ticket. At that point I figured the motor would fail soon but it never did.
Cam phasers at some point under warranty.
After it would sit at idle for 25 minutes, (lunch) it would smoke pretty bad. I think they said turbo and maybe timing chain. (I have no mechanical knowledge of engines as am sure your aware by now)
Replaced a plug or two.
Truck was stolen in Alpharetta ga with 88,000 miles. Fortunately, I never had to pay for repairs as I had warranty.
Gen3 has 12,000 and no issues.
I own a small business and have had a couple hundred Ford vehicles. The eco boost has been the least reliable but I like the power. If keeping long term it may be worth considering extended warranty if the cost makes sense, or maybe they have solved issues?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
6.2L V8 is my way to make music. And I'm not alone. I met Actor/racer Paul Newman in Long Beach at the CART events when I worked with SCCA doing Pit/Fire duty for Newman/Hass and later in Baja when he raced one leg of the Baja 1000 in a spec buggy and I was the staging director for SCORE. He was Racer Paul Newman and not treated as a celebrity. Afterwards, Actor Paul Newman was interviewed by The Actor's Studio and after all the usual questions he was randomly asked "what is your favorite sound?". He thought about it for a moment and answered "a V8"....
Some are you Gen 1 guys so defensive; it wreaks of insecurity. This is a Gen 3 thread discussing the Gen 2/3 engine, it had nothing to do with the antiquated 6.2 until "dspangler" (kuan, azrael, predator raptor) started derailing the thread with his usual trolling. Regardless, the drone of the 6.2 is horrible with any aftermarket exhaust. It is not in any way a performance engine; comparing it to the sound of an actual high performance V8 (DOHC 4.6/5.4/5.8 Modular, 5.0 Coyote/Roadrunner, 5.2 Voodoo/Predator) makes that even more blatantly obvious. This is where the 6.2 resides in it's natural habitat:
1646004670882.png

Now can we please keep the thread on track?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had a 2017. Took it in for 1st oil change at 5,000 miles. It stated 3 qts low on oil on service ticket. At that point I figured the motor would fail soon but it never did.
Cam phasers at some point under warranty.
After it would sit at idle for 25 minutes, (lunch) it would smoke pretty bad. I think they said turbo and maybe timing chain. (I have no mechanical knowledge of engines as am sure your aware by now)
Replaced a plug or two.
Truck was stolen in Alpharetta ga with 88,000 miles. Fortunately, I never had to pay for repairs as I had warranty.
Gen3 has 12,000 and no issues.
I own a small business and have had a couple hundred Ford vehicles. The eco boost has been the least reliable but I like the power. If keeping long term it may be worth considering extended warranty if the cost makes sense, or maybe they have solved issues?
What "issues" specifically are you referring to? The majority of Gen 1 issues were maintenance related. Gen 2 had the cam phaser cold start noise issue, but that has been resolved with the TSB and subsequent recall.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I learned reading this:
1. People are ok with major engine issues and extensive dealer work
2. People with a warranty (especially extended warranties) don’t care what issues the engine has
And we know what has already been confirmed. You're a Gen 1 troll who doesn't even own a Raptor. **** of here.

charlesraptor

Reaction score
I have 68k on my 2018. I bought the truck specifically because it had the 3.5L TT EB engine and 10spd trans. It hasn’t seen inside a dealer shop as I do all my own mods/maintenance.

I’ve been running my own tunes, baselined on the Stage2+ 93 Cobb OTS map. I’ve run my E10-93 or E50-93 tune(s) the whole time with zero problems. In fact, the truck runs better as the mileage increases. I’m still running the original spark plugs that so many say are terrible(!).

My 1/4 mile et/mph on E10-93 is 13.1@104 and on E50-93 is 12.7@108.

The engine is 100% stock You would need to spend some big bucks to get the 6.2 v8 near those numbers.

ReconReggie19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has or had the highest mileage raptor eco boost (Gen 2 or gen3). For those with high mileage any major issues?
Have a 2017 gen2 just turned the odometer at 117k. So far I've had cam phasers replaced, rear diff rebuild, plastic oil pan replacement, cv joints replaced, just a few days ago I had the dreaded panoramic sunroof gremlin hit me, so as of now that thing will NEVER be opened again. I'm guessing everything was just wear and tear because I stay up on my maintenance and she's mostly pavement princess than offroad warrior. All the maintenance problems I've had is NO comparison having to deal with the service departments though. So no complaints take care of it and it will take care of you.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2017 gen2 just turned the odometer at 117k. So far I've had cam phasers replaced, rear diff rebuild, plastic oil pan replacement, cv joints replaced, just a few days ago I had the dreaded panoramic sunroof gremlin hit me, so as of now that thing will NEVER be opened again. I'm guessing everything was just wear and tear because I stay up on my maintenance and she's mostly pavement princess than offroad warrior. All the maintenance problems I've had is NO comparison having to deal with the service departments though. So no complaints take care of it and it will take care of you.
After all that, you are a happy owner? Gosh, you gen 2 people have a really high tolerance for manufacturer design defects. The gen 1 raptor guys never had this stuff, or anything close, in 200k+ miles.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
After all that, you are a happy owner? Gosh, you gen 2 people have a really high tolerance for manufacturer design defects. The gen 1 raptor guys never had this stuff, or anything close, in 200k+ miles.
When the Gen1 came out it was the top dog overall performance truck. That was then, this is now. Ford abandoned the old design to make significant improvements. Although still a good truck, it’s just heavy and slow compared to new technology. You’re proving what others have said in that you’re just trolling a Gen2 forum because you jealous you don’t have one. It’s ok to be envious, but your comments are simply incorrect. Are you the new/same-old Sasquatch?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Gen 1 6.2L V8 with 148xxx miles. Attached is a recent Blackstone Labs oil test showing it to be ready for another 148xxx. I also own a 2012 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost and 168xxx miles. It's making the dreaded cam phaser noise at startup, and will definitely need an expensive repair this year. The newer versions of that motor are still experiencing this same problem.

Attachments

• 20220227_181917.png
    20220227_181917.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 14