Whipple tune alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supra

Reaction score
I do not. I did have the supercharger off to change the alternator that the pulley snapped off. That’s when I found the bypass valve disconnected. I also just broke the belt now too so I’m hoping that’s not another problem I’m uncovering. It’s been one thing after another so far, just fishing around for similar problems to mine before I pay someone a ton of money to tune and find there’s still another problem elsewhere and waste money on a tune when I’m not even ready for one. It would def be nice to get some data logs to someone to see what could really be going on too, but I don’t know the first thing about how to do that. No check engine light but I haven’t hooked up to check for any other codes

Supra

Reaction score
I’m only seeing half of your response till after I post for some reason lol sorry for any confusion.
I have an ngauge pod in the vent so I’m assuming it’s hp tuners? I’m new to this sort of stuff, I know more about standalone tuning. I had it to a shop to get it tuned and he said he couldn’t tune it because it was locked by the previous tuner who he contacted and got a tune to add some “idle air” and changed the shifting because it was way too harsh. The shifting got much better but the truck runs very similar or possibly even worse.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No it's not HP Tuning, they never got a working Tune for the Gen 1 Supercharged Raptor as far as I can see on the forum.
Do you think you can get the SCT device from where ever you bought the truck from?

Buy a new tensioner, they do not last long.
I think a purchased four now in 7 1/2 years.

I tried the Thumper tensioner 7 years ago and it eat my alternator bearing in 500 miles.
Now they make an 8 rib system for Whipple with the Thumper so far I haven't heard any one with issues, so I'm guessing Thumper deceased the tension now.

Last edited:

Supra

Reaction score
I highly doubt it, I bought the truck at a dealership. the guy that previously owned the truck left his home address saved in the truck lol so technically I could contact him but I think that would be frowned upon

when I go to the tuners website it appears he sells the ngauge with one tune in it. so he must not have had a handheld tuner with it from the sounds of his website

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hate that.

You may want to look at the for sale section on this forum and see if someone is selling their X4 SCT device.
And you can call Whipple and see if they can give the unlocked Tune for your truck.
Not sure what Whipple does but or wants but they have done it in the past.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt it, I bought the truck at a dealership. the guy that previously owned the truck left his home address saved in the truck lol so technically I could contact him but I think that would be frowned upon

when I go to the tuners website it appears he sells the ngauge with one tune in it. so he must not have had a handheld tuner with it from the sounds of his website

Whipple's Ford Tuner for the Gen 1 only uses SCT

If it's really a HP Tune then it was done at a speed shop.
Like I mentioned before HP Tuning never had real success with Raptor.

Whipple would have your Vin# and could tell you if a Tune was sold with their kit unless it was sold as a Tuner kit or through a vendor.

Last edited:

Supra

Reaction score
Whipple's Ford Tuner for the Gen 1 only uses SCT

If it's really a HP Tune then it was done at a speed shop.
Like I mentioned before HP Tuning never had success with Raptor.
I wasn’t saying who the tuner is because I didn’t want to come off as badmouthing them. It’s a Lund racing tune, it could very well be hp tuners. Hearing what you say about sct/hp I think once I replace the tensioner and belt I’ll be getting an sct tuner and find someone to work with that. Thanks a lot for all the help

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know about Lund, and personally know two Whippled owners that run his Tune.
You have to do a lot of data logging with him and hard to work with.
He's not a Raptor fan, he's more Mustang.

Last edited:

Supra

Reaction score
I had my truck at a local dyno to send him data logs but it sounds like he wanted nothing to do with the truck. He gave me the tune previously mentioned and that was it. The information I got sounded like he was done with tuning supercharged raptors because of too many problems. I mean I don’t blame him, seeing that the bypass valve wasn’t even hooked up I’m sure he had tons of problems with tuning the truck. I’m just trying to clean up the mess which I’m determined to fix. So I’ll just go a different tuning route I suppose.

also I’m still trying to figure out how to pm you on here about the install instructions lol

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He has too many problems, and not the first guy to go to. it's not the Raptor.

IMHO, you would be better off going to JDM for a dyno Tune they can get you up to my power level and smooth shifting from what others have said.
I know it's a long drive if your on the other side of Pennsylvania but it will get it done once and for all.
Or at least get the SCT X4 and Tune from them as a combo and save some money.
You'll get better support from JDM!!!
@New Nick at JDM

I run the Whipple Tune it's bit more aggressive, so I have shredded a few belts in the winter months.
I've been good for two years without shredding one so the last tensioner must have been a good one. LOL
And I run the Whipple Twin 68mm TB which JDM doesn't like.

Click on my screen name and click on start a conversation
I PM'd you.

It's getting late though I'll be up until 12, otherwise we'll continue tomorrow.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter