GEN 2 Whipple Stage 1 Kit Feedback Thread!

Feedback on Whipple Tune

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
stock rating is 450/510 bhp
my truck made 348/400 rwhp so about 22.6% to drivetrain loss (granted I have the SPD adapters installed too)

upgraded numbers are 410/449 rwhp
so if you take the numbers x 1.22% you get 500/548 bhp

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

yup 91 octane here in commiefornia :ROFLJest:

The math works like this:

348/450 = .7733

410 / .7733 = 530 horsepower at the crank

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like that whipple are prompt in responding to you guys and updating. I may just go with it just because some others here have difficulty responding to emails/pm in under a week

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like that whipple are prompt in responding to you guys and updating. I may just go with it just because some others here have difficulty responding to emails/pm in under a week

you won't be disappointed... top notch! plus it's great to know that Ford Calibrates the tune as well

over 70,000 items to monitor!

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that all the other tuners can’t read the Ford’s encrypted calibration of these trucks?

Big Johnson

Reaction score
So is there any chance for those of us that bought before the group buy and had to send our pcm in, to get a tomohawk from Whipple in order to update the tune to the latest and greatest? Hint hint Mr. Whipple...

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This is on crummy 91 octane right?

Few
More ponies if you can find real premium.

Strange that the power comes on later in these runs?

That's just where we roll into the throttle, the biggest actual gains is 1500-3000rpm range. The reason the peak HP is not as high on the top is a few things, 91 octane and injector tip temp limiting. We are strict on the injector tip limiting because they will fail overtime if overheated. Then boost drops a touch because turbo overspeed is critical to life. The impellers fall apart overtime if speed is exceeded.

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding is that all the other tuners can’t read the Ford’s encrypted calibration of these trucks?

No, it can be read if they modify the template and recognize the CAL ID.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re right.

91 octane is a different animal. At 91 octane they probably aren’t that much different - and in California.... that’s all you can run anyway.

So I should clarify.... at 91 octane I didn’t see a curve but from what I understand it’s about 15 horsepower less.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I’m blessed to have 93 on every corner.

It’s all the more reason that it makes sense for me to go with a hotter tune.

Guy, does the 93 octane you use in your truck have ethanol in it? Cause I can get 93 everywhere here in Canada, it just has ethanol in it which I rather not use

jmrekieta

Reaction score
Whipple Charged,

So I’m 98.4% sold on your stage 1 kit.

According to the math earlier in this thread we are at 530BHP / 581TQ at the crank with this tune and SPD adapters...everything else stock.

A few questions please:

1) What would you estimate that the power increase would be running 93 instead of 91 with this kit?

2) Will down pipes be an acceptable/safe option to run with this tune? Any negatives to running down pipes with this tune? If we can safely run down pipes with this tune what do you think the performance gain might be in HP/TQ. I think stock down pipes are good for 5 to 15 hp depending on the application from what I’ve read.

3) What will the performance gain be HP/TQ with an aftermarket exhaust? Borla specifically. Ignoring loudness (x-pipe is clearly louder) would you recommend running the X pipe or the resonator with the optional built-in H pipe?

4) What kind of numbers do you think we could hit HP/TQ with all three installed (93/downpipes/catback) concurrently with your stage 1 kit?

5) Given that the whipple intake is part of this kit will there be any downside to running the UPR (with the required hole drilled in the intake and line attached to the intake) catch can with your stage 1 kit?

Thank you very much for your time and congratulations on your outstanding work!!!

Last edited: