Whipple noise under partial throttle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple thousand miles on the Whipple in my truck and so far like it. My only complaint is under partial or low throttle I get a whistle similar to an old car without suppressed plug wires. Kind of a higher pitched RPM dependent whistle versus the on load whine. If I turn off the stereo it does not go away. Under medium to high throttle I get the normal whine, I am just surprised how much louder the Whipple is over my previous Roush or factory Gt-500 supercharger?

For those of you with a Whipple is this your experience as well? It's not overbearing, most of the time the stereo covers it up.

I had a hard time with the revised alternator on the 14s and had the blower on and off a couple extra times, I am hoping I did not tear an o-ring. I have not installed a boost gauge yet to check psi levels.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Dennis

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All the gearing is in the back of the 2.9L Whipple right up against the fire wall.
So yes, I could see it making more noise in the cab over the rear air feed Eaton compressor.

Please tell us some more about the alternator, there will come a time when I will start light mods and I'm sure I'll need to do something about more amps.

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If your concerned about a vacuum leak throwing a boost/vacuum gauge on the truck could help determine that. Also datalogging your fuel trims would show signs of that as well. If this whistle sound is more like the filter sucking in air when you first tip into the throttle? I would say that is normal, every supercharged vehicle with a big open style filter will make that noise. The Whipple being a Twin screw compresses the air much differently than a TVS or Roots blower so that is why you notice a sound difference between the blowers. They all sing at a different tone.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will not worry until I can validate with a boost gauge.

the alternator in the 14 is physically different. The terminal is rotated and a little too tall. I had to cut the thread and the plastic surround to clear the blower snout. I am not sure if there is an output difference.
Dennis