Which Remanufactured Steering Rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Augster

Reaction score
My 2013 is leaking after 115k, and other than a brand new one from Cardon that is suspiciously cheaper than remanufactured, which brands have other tried and recommend?

The only ones locally are Cardone, MasterPro, and NAPA Premium.

I'm leaning towards Motorcraft, but only Rock Auto has them that I could find, and the shipping cost of the core will increase the total price. But if that's only one to consider, then so be it...

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tasca shows them as available, which means your local ford should be able to get them. By the time you figure in the shipping to and from it may end up being pretty comparable in price depending on which ford dealer you use.

OP
OP
A

Augster

Reaction score
Tasca shows them as available, which means your local ford should be able to get them. By the time you figure in the shipping to and from it may end up being pretty comparable in price depending on which ford dealer you use.

My experience has been the local Ford markups have been astonishing; sometimes twice as much as online.

But it won't hurt to call a couple dealers and get quotes. I'll report back what I find...

UPDATE:

$640 for remanufactured, special order, but on back-order with 2-3 week estimate
$984 for brand new one, only one available, about a week for delivery

Price is reasonable for the reman and I would do the local Ford dealer route, so thanks for the tip!

But I'm seriously considering the new one...

Last edited:

Chris Brown

Reaction score
I’ve been pondering a new steering rack as well. Mine has a bit of slack at 146k. I’ve had horrible troubles out of Cardone stuff for an older duramax work truck from advance, and the shop I use some said the same. Just from that experience and advice, I’ve stayed clear of cardone parts of at all possible.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have seen that video. you can get to the adjustment nut while its on the truck. took me about 20 min. the problem is you cant find a hex head that will fit in there given the amount of space you have to work with. i took a large crappy socket to the bench grinder and made it a hex on the outside. fits in there perfectly. if you dont have a socket to donate, i can loan you mine.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What is the size of the hex? Should be able to just get a bolt with a head the right size and use 2 nuts on it locked together to make a wrench. Or if you weld just weld yourself up a tool that fits using the bolt as the driver.