Where does the name come from???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

verytalonted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK where does the "Raptor" name come from? I know that a Raptor is a bird of prey and all (though I like the dino version).

But what made the guys and gals at Ford and SVT say, "Hey, you what would be a great name for this off road machine? A Raptor!"

Just wondering if anyone heard the real story on this...

Thanks in advance,
--Chris

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I honestly don't except that the name became very popular after the release of Jarassic Park. Up until then, it was hardly used.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh. That's a good question. I'll see what I can find out...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got this from my contact at Ford
Jamal [Hameedi, SVT Chief Engineer] is out until Monday, but I do know the vehicle was always called Raptor as code name. Then when it came time to officially name the vehicle, surveys went out and the voting began. The name Raptor just stuck and was agreed that it was the best name. I have a feeling Jamal named it long ago but I'll check with him.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It got it's name because it is most agile on all terrains (like the dino) and in the air (most of the time, like the bird)...Ford knew that going into the project. :)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd imagine he'll tell me/us next week. Looking forward to hearing about it.