Wheel bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85eurocarrera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 scab 76,*** miles. Shocks rebuilt 1500 miles ago.

slight vibration in steering wheel, and telltale growling sound coming from left front wheel when loaded/turning. Sounds like if it is bearing to replace whole hub. I’ll do both fronts if that’s the case.

Any other stuff to do while I’m in there? It still feels a little loose up front after shock service. It’s going in next Tuesday. I’m prepared to spend some $ to bring the front end back into shape.

thank you

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would do both hubs and sway bar end links to start, but check the bushings in the upper and lower control arms for play. With the engine shut off, is there play in the steering wheel? If so, could be the steering rack is a bit loose. Seems like pretty low mileage for anything major unless you SEND IT every other weekend!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vibration in the wheel at speed or only when turning? These are a unit bearing so you are replacing the whole thing. Just make sure you get proper pull through on the axle shaft.

I am a little confused on how sway bar end links are related to this problem?

OP
OP
85eurocarrera

85eurocarrera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vibration only when turning.

I looked at sway bar bushing and they look “cracked” and dried out.

another thing;
When backing out while turning steering wheel right I will get a occasional random metallic knocking sound up front in suspension. Maybe my sway bar?

thanks all!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vibration in the wheel at speed or only when turning? These are a unit bearing so you are replacing the whole thing. Just make sure you get proper pull through on the axle shaft.

I am a little confused on how sway bar end links are related to this problem?

I only said that because, the op mentioned he wanted to spend some money on his front end and they are cheap enough.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

another thing;
When backing out while turning steering wheel right I will get a occasional random metallic knocking sound up front in suspension. Maybe my sway bar?

thanks all!
If it is right after startup it is most likely IWE disengaging. The cornering thing could be an IWE locked in as well. Spend some time to diagnose them, check your CV boots out. Check the wheel bearings with one tire up before you start pulling things apart. The wheel bearings on these are pretty expensive, and not a common fail point so make sure!

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

another thing;

thanks all!
Chasing that same noise on mine, only hear it at the end of a right-hand turn in reverse when applying brakes. Not sway bar ends in my case (there isn't one). I need to retorque everything, it's been a while since I did lower ball joints, UCAs, inner & outer tie rod ends (one outer with a torn boot and is my prime suspect) and shock rebuilds. Very well could be IWE I need to check those too. Almost 189k and factory wheel bearings though!