What my 2018 M3 and my 2020 Raptor have in common...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest gripe on the f80 was the lack of steering feel compared to the e92.

as far as sound , how a car or truck sounds is very low on my list. I am more concerned about acceleration handling and braking

Last edited:

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest gripe on the f80 was the lack of steering feel compared to the e92.

as far as sound , how a car or truck sounds is very low on my list. I am more concerned about acceleration handling and braking

Yes, the EPS does remove some feel, but the chassis overall is better. Porsche is, I think, objectively better with both the steering and the PDK DCT, but the 911 doesn't have the overall practicality of the M3. Everything is a trade off, and no car is perfect, but the M3 is more capable than I am for sure. It's kind of like the sub-MOA rifles I have. Sure, they are not as accurate as a sub-.5 MOA rifle, but in my hands, it doesn't make too much difference.

wurz

Reaction score
Wow, never thought I'd see an M3 comparison thread!

New user here, but just like the OP, I have a 2018 M3 and love the way it sounds! Coming from a '08 E92 M3 and a 95 M3, (to me) the F80 is superior in every way. Its the perfect balance! Wife has an x3m40i, man that thing rips too!

Have a 2018 F150 V8 currently, but been I've stalking this forum planning my Raptor upgrade. I think this post might just push me over the edge.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it would take for the fit/finish ******** to bubble up- not long!

yeah I do think the M3 has lost its way- but I also think it’s the nostalgia part that’s holding jt
Very well put response, I didn't bother because with the post that he made to me it's clear these past reason and logical thinking. In my experience you don't try and reason with the village idiot you just laugh and move on

I used to love the M3 growing up my uncle had an E36 then an E46 vert In blue that I thought was the coolest. Fast forward to my late 20s/early 30s as I was making more $$$ could afford to have either a very nice DD or standard commuter car & a nice gently used/late model toy car. I wanted an E90 or E92 M3 when they went to a V8 & I really like the body shape, but was a little let down by the lack of power below like 4-5k rpm & further let down when I drove a friends 2009 (I think N54?) 335 AWD coupe w/ a tune & there was no need to compare back to back I knew for sure the tunes AWD 335i would stomp all over the M3. At the time I was dead set on a V8 manual tranny sports car- wound up in a GTO.

fast forward to current times & I’m now more partial to boosted 6 cylinder engines than back then & I agree just like w/ ford & their EB engines BMW has clearly made a much more concerted effort to focus on smaller displacement DI boosted motors over N/A larger displacement- including V8- although I’m guessing even BMW now produces more flavors of V8 than Ford. So if their best engineering efforts have been put toward boosted 6s then it only makes sense to put a high output variation of one in their high end M car. Just like I doubt Ford will go back to putting n/a V8 (or a blown V8 for that matter) into a next gen Raptor.

all that being said- I stand by what I said. M3 ain’t the cream of the crop in their segment anymore. The Raptor unequivocally is- but that’s also a similarity they carry between the 2- both are their respective company’s “best” version of a mid size performance sedan & performance 1/2 ton.

what prompted me to write what I did is I never really contemplated the similar price points & while for sure a Raptor will never go around a race trAck like an M3.....in terms of all other practical uses for a vehicle in any category, hell a Raptor trounces it- if ya had to have just one the answer is quite obvious.

OP is quite lucky to have both. But in terms of bang for buck- the Raptor impresses me wayyyyyyy more. And I recently cross-shopped a bunch of sports cars before dumping $$$ into my current toy car- Z06 vette. FWIW- a CPO M2 w/ a stick shift, a new Civic-R, & CPO Lexus RCF were a few of the cars I thought really hard about....so no I don’t hate BMW. I just think they lost their way for a bit more concerned w/ making cute X1s & X3s than a proper sports sedan.

I assume the M3 holds their value quite well too like a Raptor.

TopElement

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For a great drivers car, sound is a huge part of the experience. Go drive a F355 or any year GT3 and you'll get it. Not the fastest cars, but with the glorious sound it doesn't really matter. Driving through canyons or tunnels it's hard to beat.

Denvertaco07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't mind the sound of the Raptor at all in fact, I like that it is not loud and I think it does have a pretty nice sound for a V6. This is coming from a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE that did sound pretty good stock.

There are many that think the louder they can make their car, truck, motorcycle the better, I guess just to **** everyone off and get some attention.

Moridin

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Raptor, and I loved the sound of it. Added a cat-back exhaust and *really* loved the sound of it.

Now I have a 2019 Raptor, and.... yeah, I love the sound of it, too. Different, but still aggressive sounding. I may at some point do an exhaust on it if I can ever hear one in person, and then again... I may not.

So simply put... I love the sound of a big burly V8, and I love the sound of a mean and aggressive V6.

This makes my life very simple when it comes to vehicles. haha

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the next M4 is going to be a monster. the chassis is improved and it will have 503 HP. Ive owned about 15 BMW's including a few M's. what kills me is the death of the manual trans.
E36 M3 manual trans
E46 M3 manual trans
E92 M3 manual trans
X3Mc

Heeter87

Reaction score
I have 2018 F80 and 2019 raptor as well. They are two completely different vehicles intended for different purposes, so I have never looked at comparing the two to each other. I love both of them for different reasons. The sound never bothered me either, I am not going to say they sound better than the previous V8 versions of each. But to me, they are superior to their predecessors in pretty much every other way which matters more to me than sound alone. That is just my opinion, and am not concerned with convincing anyone who thinks differently otherwise. I would love to own a GT3 or a high revving NA V8 like a 458, and hopefully one day will. But I don't think you can compare those cars to an M3 either. Comparing an M3 to C63, RS4/5, Alpha Romeo Quadrifoglio, etc. I think whatever you prefer is going to be more subjective than comparing the raptor to anything else because there really isn't anything out there that truly compares to it, so to that extent I do somewhat agree. However, competition in the marketplace only benefits us as it gives manufacturers motivation to improve faster.

Fury Road

Reaction score
I never owned a gen 1 Raptor or an e92 M3, but from a pure sound perspective I always thought my F80 M3 didn't sound great (kind of like a lawnmower with rocks in it at times), but I have not had a problem with the way the gen 2 Raptor sounds from the get go. F80 is a great car and its all subjective but I have never been fond of the sound and I'm not talking about from a pure comparison standpoint either. My two cents..