What gas are you using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremyespinoza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my truck 2 weeks ago and I just filled up with 91 octane on my first fill up. Was wondering what everyone else was filling up with? I don't mind paying a little bit extra for premium but if it doesn't need it, no sense in filling up with premium. Thoughts?

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:popcorn:

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

I use 91 but this is a hot topic

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for the record:

from 2017 F150 Owner Manual:

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

Do not use any fuel other than those recommended because they could lead to engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty. Note: Use of any fuel other than those recommended can impair the emission control system and cause a loss of vehicle performance.

Do not use:
Diesel fuel.
Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
Fuels containing methanol.
Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
Leaded fuel (using leaded fuel is prohibited by law).

The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (commonly known as MMT), which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

from Ford F150 Raptor Supplement Printing:
Required fuel: Minimum 87 octane.

OP
OP
J

jeremyespinoza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fort Worth 30 minutes from Dallas

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I think a lot of people paid over MSRP

1DXmk2

Reaction score
If you're in Texas, you can get 93 octane at Bucees. That's where I buy mine - after the first tank of cheap dealer gas caused my truck to run rough, I haven't used anything else and the truck runs great now.

OP
OP
J

jeremyespinoza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice so 87 is the minimum we can use. Just wonder if you will feel the difference?

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Ok I have a bucees 15 minutes away thanks