GEN 2 What can you tell me about this '17 raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with you on white looks Great with the black accents on Raptors.

All my other cars are black and they look Great when cleaned up.

Good luck with it!

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? All 2017's had the plastic pan. These plastic pans have had such an issue with cracking and leaking that Ford switched to a metal pan.

I didn't say anything about the 2017's plastic oil pan being true or not. I just said you're a troll and your opinion should not carry any weight, which it shouldn't.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll bring that to the dealer's attention.
Do you know it's if can retro swap the plastic pan to the remedied version?

I really wouldn't worry too much about this. Has the plastic oil pan had problems? Yes. But only a small percentage of them have presented as problematic. IF something happens, it sounds like you have a service plan behind it, so let them deal with it.

While I'm not sure if the figures here in the UAE will make sense to the US market, one thing that is comnon with the US is that raptora hold their resale value.

A new 2017 raptor costs about $90,000. Comes with 5 years warranty & 3 years of service

I'm being offered this used one for about $70,000

A 22% reduction in price for a Raptor with less than 5,000 miles on it is a damn good price. I say go for it provided the vehicle and title (if that's a thing in the UAE) are clean.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many have tried to retrofit the metal pan, but you need a few more new parts to make it work. I don't think anyone is retrofitting the metal, and the dealer most definitely won't swap it for you. My early 18 has the crap plastic and what a pain in the ass it is. Mine also suffers from the infamous cam phaser rattle that many here have.

Oh, where can I read more about the cam phaser rattle?

Thank you

Agree with you on white looks Great with the black accents on Raptors.

All my other cars are black and they look Great when cleaned up.

Good luck with it!

I really wouldn't worry too much about this. Has the plastic oil pan had problems? Yes. But only a small percentage of them have presented as problematic. IF something happens, it sounds like you have a service plan behind it, so let them deal with it.

A 22% reduction in price for a Raptor with less than 5,000 miles on it is a damn good price. I say go for it provided the vehicle and title (if that's a thing in the UAE) are clean.

Yep, checked the chassis number. No recorded accidents.
Also scheduled to have Ford fully assess the vehicle prior to purchase.
While it only has 4500 miles on it and warranty for another 3 years, getting it assessed by Ford now will further aid me down the line should anything drastic emerge.

Last edited:

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you

While it only has 4500 miles on it and warranty for another 3 years, getting it assessed by Ford now will further aid me when the line should anything drastic emerge.

Cam phaser rattle:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/cam-phaser-engine-failure-reports.64826/

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score

While it only has 4500 miles on it and warranty for another 3 years, getting it assessed by Ford now will further aid me when the line should anything drastic emerge.

Smart move. Nothing wrong with having a qualified technician assess it for any potential problems.

pierceography

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I cannot stress this enough: This guy is a troll. He's been on this forum under numerous other accounts, trying to convince everyone that the EB platform is crap, that they should alter their engines with damaging mods to fix non-existent problems, and plenty of other nonsense.

Hey Sasquatch, wanna tell us about your weep hole solution again? Here's some real world feedback: My last F150 had an EB engine, I drove it like I stole it for three years, and it was solid. Not a single issue.

SL75's (AKA sasquatch77, MGD, kid icarus, etc) advise is garbage, disregard it unless you really enjoy having your time wasted.

@hedonist222 That Raptor looks like a good buy to me. Get it checked out, and if there are no issues, pull the trigger. It'll be a great truck.

KDub

Reaction score
There's a few sites that will give you the original window sticker when you type in the VIN. That should give you the full breakdown of accessories and package.

OP
OP
hedonist222

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much

I cannot stress this enough: This guy is a troll. He's been on this forum under numerous other accounts, trying to convince everyone that the EB platform is crap, that they should alter their engines with damaging mods to fix non-existent problems, and plenty of other nonsense.

Hey Sasquatch, wanna tell us about your weep hole solution again? Here's some real world feedback: My last F150 had an EB engine, I drove it like I stole it for three years, and it was solid. Not a single issue.

SL75's (AKA sasquatch77, MGD, kid icarus, etc) advise is garbage, disregard it unless you really enjoy having your time wasted.

@hedonist222 That Raptor looks like a good buy to me. Get it checked out, and if there are no issues, pull the trigger. It'll be a great truck.

I'm coming from a 2013 Nissan Patrol. Never launched in the US but very popular this side of the globe. I put about 300,000 miles on it since January 2013. Great car.
But it got totaled a few weeks ago.
Got t-***** by an oncoming car towards the passenger door. Fortunately I had no one with me in the car and I had my belt on. I'm ok albeit a few bruises.

Was going to get another patrol because it's just so versatile.
Pretty luxurious on the inside, large v8 5.6l engine, 7 years and effortlessly hauls my yamaha yxz 1000r buggy.

I was actually looking for one till I decided that maybe it's time to get myself the beast that one I've been wanting for a while.
I realize that the raptor won't have the luxury featured of my patrol like the rear 3rd row that I use to store stuff, but oh well.
I'll manage :).

There's a few sites that will give you the original window sticker when you type in the VIN. That should give you the full breakdown of accessories and package.

The first 12 google results weren't successful...

At $70k with that low of miles, that's a good deal.

Thanks. I think so. :)

Looking forward to tinting the feces out of it lol.