What beam pattern for A Pillar lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So are you saying for my Gen3 I made mistake ordering LP4 for A Pillar in amber driving combo with, at least for now, no other auxiliary lights?

scabsvt

Reaction score
What beam pattern are you guys using for A Pillar lights? I'm in the PNW so I'm looking for more light off the side for tight mountain road switch backs. My thought was some Squadron Sport wide cornering but i'm interested to what you guys are using and for what purpose.
Im using the XL80 Amber driving combo lights for my A-pillar. Ive used them in dust and fog and so far no issues. I angled them a bit off to the side so I don't get that much glare on my hood.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Got a pic?

I was kicking around swapping the squadrons on my front bumper with a 20" combo laser
IMG_5104.jpg

Lasers do push a long way, but if you don’t have some long range non-laser lights, put the lasers off. The narrow beam renders them of limited use unless you’re really pushing low lights speed hard and you have enough collateral light to make the lasers give you some extra range.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 346443

Lasers do push a long way, but if you don’t have some long range non-laser lights, put the lasers off. The narrow beam renders them of limited use unless you’re really pushing low lights speed hard and you have enough collateral light to make the lasers give you some extra range.
now that is damn cool. I recently bought my first laser flashlight (I'm a flashaholic), a small handheld unit. Has a beam perhaps a foot or two wide. Really powerful.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 346443

Ah, one further thing. I decided, after three Gen2s with the bumper lights, not to do that again as the Gen3 comes with lights, though nothing to write home about. But I have two LP4s that I planned on mounting on the A pillars. Would you recommend I do it on bumper like yours instead, if those are the only extra lights I plan on having?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I like the LP4’s in the combo lens like I have it because they have decent side throw so I think these lights excel at throwing a lot of light from close in to well further than squadron pro spots, and with more intensity. This allowed me to re-aim my combo squadron pros down and add an amber cover to have something I can use with SAE or by themselves for low visibility.

A pillars deserve XL80’s in my opinion. Once you see just how far the xl80 spot lens throws light, you’ll be thankful for this advice.