Water leak fro body weld

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i’m betting you have the infamous twin panel moon roof, and further betting that the drain line is either disconnected or clogged.

Possibly, I do have sunroof. Dropped it off at the dealer today... Argh, the truck has only 480 miles on the odometer.

I'm beyond disbelief on the quality control of the build.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fords warranty costs are out of control. Issues like this just contribute to the expense.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Fords warranty costs are out of control. Issues like this just contribute to the expense.

I’m neither agreeing nor disagreeing but would like to point out that this is a warranty issue because they’re stuck with the 2015 moon roof design until they can come up with a better redesign. Once you have something like this in the field, you own it for about 10 years. If they changed it tomorrow to a brand new design, they would still have through 2023 to warranty it; 5 more years on ESP and still need to provide parts through the end of the practical vehicle service life. So in reality, Ford will need to hold on to the design long enough to absorb the design cost and make it worth keeping, and short enough that it doesn’t become ( more of ) an albatross.

So what’s really wrong with the moon roof design ( he asks sheepishly, while fondly remembering the dissatisfying pop the firs time it broke ) ?

1) it’s fragile. The guides are weak and break easily.
2) it requires maintenance that is not thoroughly documented.
2a) failure to maintain the moonroof leads to sticking and breaking the fragile moon roof guide system.
3) it’s noisy; creaks, groans, rattles over bumps.

If you look at the above fact set, you can see alleviating point 2 can work around point 1, and some have indicated it helps mitigate the rattles and noise.

Why wasn’t properly greasing the moon roof documented? It’s not like Ford didn’t come across this in QA testing. There’s no way they didn’t come across it. If they documented maintaining the moon roof - routinely greasing it to prevent sticking which leads to breakage, probably a lot of us would do it.

I’d classify this as a documentation failure. Maintaining the moon roof should have been added to the 538 pages of F150 user guide, and some of the bad rep, warranty costs and owner frustration could have been avoided. Revised and stronger guide parts would also help. Parts that would resist breaking when the moonroof sticks.

i got nothing for the rattles, but the point is that this is a warranty issue for Ford for a few contributing reasons, not simply a bad design.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m neither agreeing nor disagreeing but would like to point out that this is a warranty issue because they’re stuck with the 2015 moon roof design until they can come up with a better redesign. Once you have something like this in the field, you own it for about 10 years. If they changed it tomorrow to a brand new design, they would still have through 2023 to warranty it; 5 more years on ESP and still need to provide parts through the end of the practical vehicle service life. So in reality, Ford will need to hold on to the design long enough to absorb the design cost and make it worth keeping, and short enough that it doesn’t become ( more of ) an albatross.

So what’s really wrong with the moon roof design ( he asks sheepishly, while fondly remembering the dissatisfying pop the firs time it broke ) ?

1) it’s fragile. The guides are weak and break easily.
2) it requires maintenance that is not thoroughly documented.
2a) failure to maintain the moonroof leads to sticking and breaking the fragile moon roof guide system.
3) it’s noisy; creaks, groans, rattles over bumps.

If you look at the above fact set, you can see alleviating point 2 can work around point 1, and some have indicated it helps mitigate the rattles and noise.

Why wasn’t properly greasing the moon roof documented? It’s not like Ford didn’t come across this in QA testing. There’s no way they didn’t come across it. If they documented maintaining the moon roof - routinely greasing it to prevent sticking which leads to breakage, probably a lot of us would do it.

I’d classify this as a documentation failure. Maintaining the moon roof should have been added to the 538 pages of F150 user guide, and some of the bad rep, warranty costs and owner frustration could have been avoided. Revised and stronger guide parts would also help. Parts that would resist breaking when the moonroof sticks.

i got nothing for the rattles, but the point is that this is a warranty issue for Ford for a few contributing reasons, not simply a bad design.

While I understand you're trying to easy the issue, taking a step back paints a very different picture. Shipping brand new cars with leaking roofs, leaking windshields or defective welds is unacceptable. I'm not the only one out there.

Documentation, unfortunately, doesn't cover sloppy work and poor design.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I don’t disagree on that point. I meant to illustrate that many contributions made this failure.
A slightly higher quality track system would probably cut down failures close to 50%, maybe more. documenting maintenance would easily whack about 25% of breakages - best guess.

If the tracks were higher quality... I wonder if they were originally and sourced to a cheaper vendor with an inferior part to save money.

That doesn’t address a brand new truck not draining from the roof area properly straight off the line, but to be fair - how many people have reported that - a brand new truck with leaking moon roof since 2017? There are even fewer leaking from welds.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t disagree on that point. I meant to illustrate that many contributions made this failure.
A slightly higher quality track system would probably cut down failures close to 50%, maybe more. documenting maintenance would easily whack about 25% of breakages - best guess.

If the tracks were higher quality... I wonder if they were originally and sourced to a cheaper vendor with an inferior part to save money.

That doesn’t address a brand new truck not draining from the roof area properly straight off the line, but to be fair - how many people have reported that - a brand new truck with leaking moon roof since 2017? There are even fewer leaking from welds.

I also came across this video, which is pretty much the same issue as mine, but from 2016:

I wouldn't say anything if it would have been Yugo, but I didn't buy Yugo. Raptor is a premium truck with a premium price.

Jurlilane

Reaction score
100% is a problem related to welding. It would be best to solve it yourself. I also had this problem about one month ago. I resolved after reading and taking a welding course at a school in Florida. An excellent experience, by the way. After the class, I quickly solved my problem. I recommend you also to take the course because we are men, we will need this in life. And by the way, welders are required, so you will receive a diploma from working after the period.

Last edited: