Warning about Whipple tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what I did. Call MPT, get the nGauge, they’ll get you some great tunes AND a stock file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I decided to go with the JDM tune instead of the Whipple. Seems like a BS arrangement engineered by Ford to cover their own butts and screw the customer. Also, JDM tune appears to be better/stronger from what I have read. I also like JDM’s responsiveness here on the forum and better customer service reputation. You are taking your chances in warranty either way and my limited interaction with Whipple when I was researching tunes was not good and did not inspire confidence at all.

MPT has answered every call. Honestly, there weren’t many, but they got me an OEM tune and a PRX-93 with stock tranny tuning that I am stoked on. So far the MPT FL team has been better than the BF’ing I got from Whipple (had to buy another ECU so the dealer could flash the truck back to stock).

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPT has answered every call. Honestly, there weren’t many, but they got me an OEM tune and a PRX-93 with stock tranny tuning that I am stoked on. So far the MPT FL team has been better than the BF’ing I got from Whipple (had to buy another ECU so the dealer could flash the truck back to stock).

Yup, got the ngauge and reflashed it, the stock file I have is the whipple tuned one, I dont have a totally stock one, maybe I should ask them

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, got the ngauge and reflashed it, the stock file I have is the whipple tuned one, I dont have a totally stock one, maybe I should ask them

They will absolutely do that for you. Great dudes.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah I have nothing against MPT. Sounds like a great tune. But they won't sell it to me (even though I will only use it off road, of course...in Mexico) because I live in Cali.

Jeff manson

Reaction score
No issues with my Whipple tune. It’s a pain but I do email Whipple every 6 months to ask if there are any updates pcm/tcm. Wish they had an auto email that notified us of any updates available. Also I do agree with someone else on this thread that said their original Whipple tune felt stronger than the last update. Not sure why they would make a tune less powerful than the original, I would only hope it was because the original being too much for the truck to handle longevity wise and this is a safeguard, that I can live with.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah I have nothing against MPT. Sounds like a great tune. But they won't sell it to me (even though I will only use it off road, of course...in Mexico) because I live in Cali.

yeah, not for nothing, but your state will pursue an aftermarket auto or motorcycle parts or tune manufacturer, or firearms related business to the ends of the earth so I totally get why businesses won’t sell to you. Frankly, I don’t understand why businesses continue to cow-tow to CA laws. The rest of the world would all be a whole lot better off if they told CA to GFT, but we can still be friends.

CA had some motorcycle tuners under surveillance for a year or more collecting data on people who were putting non CARB compliant parts on and fined the living daylights out of them. Frankly, I wouldn’t sell stuff to a CA address either, just as a private citizen, or business owner. Too much risk.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, not for nothing, but your state will pursue an aftermarket auto or motorcycle parts or tune manufacturer, or firearms related business to the ends of the earth so I totally get why businesses won’t sell to you. Frankly, I don’t understand why businesses continue to cow-tow to CA laws. The rest of the world would all be a whole lot better off if they told CA to GFT, but we can still be friends.

CA had some motorcycle tuners under surveillance for a year or more collecting data on people who were putting non CARB compliant parts on and fined the living daylights out of them. Frankly, I wouldn’t sell stuff to a CA address either, just as a private citizen, or business owner. Too much risk.

Yeah I hate this state. Hate it. Moving out as soon as I can. Really looking forward to getting out.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues with my Whipple tune. It’s a pain but I do email Whipple every 6 months to ask if there are any updates pcm/tcm. Wish they had an auto email that notified us of any updates available. Also I do agree with someone else on this thread that said their original Whipple tune felt stronger than the last update. Not sure why they would make a tune less powerful than the original, I would only hope it was because the original being too much for the truck to handle longevity wise and this is a safeguard, that I can live with.

The original was super normal, something like plus 60 bhp, they just suck