Viper smart start vs ford remote access

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to sound ignorant, but I do admit I am not up to ***** on new technology, but what is the advantage of these systems that you speak of? Is it just being able to start the truck from your phone instead of the key? Are their other features involved? Thanks
control your vehicle with your smart phone. gps tracking, extended range on the aftermarket remote, notifications if your alarm is going off, got a kid that drives? put a perimeter around your vehicle and get notified if it leaves outside the electronic fence. you decide how big that fence is. i do this at the dealership to make sure they dont go anywhere with the truck. just to name a few

cbs001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my viper system and smart start. I very rarely have had an issue and think it was more to due with the cell signal of the phone.

I second what Noah has said. I use mine all the time and getting the text alerts when the alarm is triggered is just another nice feature. Also the GPS parking feature assures you are not wondering around looking for your ride.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the guy that asked about my equipment, It's a viper 5506 with the smart start module. Hope that helps!

rsike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the viper in my wife’s Honda and my truck , they work most of the time, I can even start it 8,000 miles away when I get the low battery alert.

I did have a second non-fob key made so I wouldn’t have to carry both. What I found was that if I started the truck with the remote start I could put the “new” non-programed key in and drive away. However the key would not start the truck. This makes me think that if I start the truck remotely it would be real easy to for someone to get in and take it.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the Smart Start GPS module installed, but without the remote start. I didn't want a third party system messing with my already functioning remote start. So I have the remote unlock and vehicle finder options only.

I found these two modules for the Ford OEM system. One is the alarm and one is the remote start.

Ford F-150 Vehicle Security System - '11-'14 (Part No: DL3Z-19A361-A)

Ford F-150 Remote Start System - '11-'14 - Cellular Access - U.S (Part No: DL3Z-19A390-B)

Under $500 for both.

I think I'm going to have my Smart Start GPS module moved to my Beetle and I'm going to get this one for my Raptor. I prefer OEM solutions even though sometimes they're not better. It just a quirk of mine.

Anyone know how to install these two parts that can comment?

treatcg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the upgraded Ford remote start system working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Ford Remote Access and it has worked every time. i just wanted the extended range for the remote start and the texts when the security system is triggered so the Ford unit was right for me. The nice thing about the Ford unit is it's all plug and play ( no cutting and splicing wires) and if you ever sell the truck you can just unplug the unit and put it in another vehicle.

OP
OP
J

johndjmix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, since i posted this my system seems to be working very well. What i didnt like was when i opened the driver foot panel by the door and saw butt connectors spliced into some of those wires in the harness, yea, you know that harness that seems to have about 1000 wires in it and its right under where muddy wet boots will touch....man, i couldnt think of a better place to splice into a wire !

--john