VHF/UHF and CB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be taking my Tech exam next week, I have been researching all radio options the last few weeks the conclusions I have come to are

1. I do not need HF
2. I want both CB and a dual band VHF/UHF radio
3. I will pay to have these professionally installed ( I want them to be concealed and look like they are stock)

I would like to know if I could mount the antennas on my rear bumper, if they would be effective in that location or should I have them mounted on the roof? If so what are the shortest best looking antennas to put on the roof and not fugly up the truck?

What radios both the Dual band and the CB radio would you all reccomended?

Movinon

Reaction score
ICOM 7000 if cost is not a problem. All in the same radio.
Otherwise a dual bander and small CB seprately.
vhf/uhf must be on the roof to work properly.
Cb on bed rail behind cab. Cb whip would also work on the bumper if you aren't opening the tailgate often.
Just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be taking my Tech exam next week, I have been researching all radio options the last few weeks the conclusions I have come to are

1. I do not need HF
2. I want both CB and a dual band VHF/UHF radio
3. I will pay to have these professionally installed ( I want them to be concealed and look like they are stock)

I would like to know if I could mount the antennas on my rear bumper, if they would be effective in that location or should I have them mounted on the roof? If so what are the shortest best looking antennas to put on the roof and not fugly up the truck?

What radios both the Dual band and the CB radio would you all reccomended?
i dont know about the radios but i do know antennas. this is the same for vhf/uhf antennas as well, but because of different frequencies the length will be different. i had a guy come into our shop and wanted me to install a vhf/uhf radio with a small (4in maybe) antenna in his vehicle. he came back later saying that he didnt have the range as the longer antennas but it still worked decent enough for him. the ideal spot is a roof mounted antenna because there is no metal above the mounting point of the antenna which results in the best ground plane. i posted this on an older thread.....

the reason you are having reception issues with shorter antennas is because of just that... a short antenna. standard vehicle antennas are 31 inches long. they are that long for a reason so I will try to explain.
the vehicle antenna at 31 inches tall is 1/4 of a wavelength. people also call it a quarter whip or whatever. so at 31 inches you are at optimal height with a good ground plane. the ground plane is the body of the car. the antenna uses the metal to (for lack of a better word) help with the radio reception. from what i understand,(someone correct me if I am wrong) if you take a piece of string from the tip of the antenna and pulled it down to the body of the car/truck if you have more than a 45 degree angle you have a good ground plane. anything less than a 45 degree angle means less of a ground plane. even though the small antennas are usually base loaded, which means that they took a 31 inch antenna and coiled it up into a spring so it can be shorter,but because of its height has less of a ground plane. less than 45 degrees angle. in other words the metal body of the car is not helping the antenna. so if you want optimum radio reception use the standard 31in whip. if you dont care and you only use you ithing take out the antenna

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICOM 7000 if cost is not a problem. All in the same radio.
Otherwise a dual bander and small CB seprately.
vhf/uhf must be on the roof to work properly.
Cb on bed rail behind cab. Cb whip would also work on the bumper if you aren't opening the tailgate often.
Just my .02 cents.

So are you saying that the Icom 7000 is a CB radio as well?

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CB is HF; 11 meter AM Band.
VHF is 6M-50Mhz; 2M - 144-147Mhz; - 1.25M-220+Mhz; all FM Band
UHF is 70cm - 440+Mhz FM Band and since it has a 70cm wavelength,
it is good for the city. The signal can bounce around/off objects.

Icom and/or others would have to be Mod-ed to go on CB. A violation of FCC rules.

To the OP - I have a "thru-the-glass" mount on my windshield and it easily can be unscrewed to get into the garage.
I lightly sanded a tiny area where it is mounted and reinforced the perimeter of the mount with superglue gel .. several times.
I forgot to remove the antenna a couple of times when pulling into the garage with No ill affects.
It works well and the Mfg advertises several db gain on both bands.
Make sure you allow for the clearance of operation of windshield wipers, should you choose to go with this setup.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 87

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:birgits_tiredcoffeeTo transmit with any Amateur (HAM) Radio, you are required by law to have an Amateur Radio License
and it requires passing a written (mutiple guess :nono: dumb down) Test.
There are 3 levels: Technician - General - Extra
I had to take a 55 question test for Tech license -- NOW, its only 30 questions.
I had to learn Morse Code to become a General ---- Now, No Morse Code for any level!

----------------------------------------------------------->:badidea:

OP
OP
willis68

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:birgits_tiredcoffeeTo transmit with any Amateur (HAM) Radio, you are required by law to have an Amateur Radio License
and it requires passing a written (mutiple guess :nono: dumb down) Test.
There are 3 levels: Technician - General - Extra
I had to take a 55 question test for Tech license -- NOW, its only 30 questions.
I had to learn Morse Code to become a General ---- Now, No Morse Code for any level!

----------------------------------------------------------->:badidea:

I learned Morse code way back when I graduated Electronics school. I thought about taking the Exams many times since 1987. For the last 2 weeks I have been studying for the Exam and to be honest I am shocked by how much easier it is now. I am taking my Tech Exam next week and after that (I work offshore or it would be much sooner) the end of the year I should have my Extra