VHF Radio Mounting Tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Can the factory fm antenna be dedicated for the vhf radio? I never use the fm radio.

No, I'm afraid not.

I have the TK-790H installed. I didn't take pics of the install.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-10 at 7.51.37 PM.jpeg

The remote head is mounted in the cubby in front of the shifter. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cubby and tried to fish a line through to passenger side with a metal fish tape but no luck. I ended up having to dismantle the whole dash and centre console to get it through. The head is nestled in some foam I cut to fit. I also left room for the USBs to be used and one runs behind the dash to my phone mount on the left of the steering wheel.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-10 at 7.52.19 PM.jpeg

The body of the radio is mounted underneath the drivers side rear seat. Initially I bought a rack from Subthump thinking that I could adapt it even though it says not for F150s with seatbelt airbags. I hacked that thing up good but it still didn't work, too thick. If you bought some seat risers it might work. I then bought a piece of acrylic sheet to mount it on with a view to velcroing it to the carpet. Got it all hooked up then the velcro wouldn't stick to the carpet. I ended up cutting tiny slits in the carpet (invisible once removed) and running zip ties to secure it. It barely fits under there and the rear seat puts pressure on it when down. I ran 4awg cable from the battery to a fuse box mounted alongside to power the radio and an aftermarket amp for the sub.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-10 at 7.51.09 PM.jpeg

I use the GJ third brake mount for the antenna. I bought a Breedlove puck with the intention of drilling the roof like I did on my '14 but the headliner didn't flex much and I decided against having to deal with creasing it etc. it at the last minute.

Sorry for the poor photos.

Last edited:

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!!! I need to figure out what I’m going to do about rear amber lights and radio. Want to do it right the first time.

Kahuna

Reaction score
I know it's hard to drop the best part of $1k but the GJ solution really is the easiest and best option to deal with both at once.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Antennas are frequency tuned. FM tops out at 108. MURS that many use is around 154. You would pick up more than a hand-held on the receive but not much more.

Regarding transmit, I wouldn't risk pumping 110w through a car FM antenna. Likely to generate some heat and I don't know what other consequences.

dudmleh522

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my installation! I unbolted the center console and seat and got the wiring to the pass through wires. My favorite part is that I mounted the nmo antenna on the light bar rack so when I have to park in a structure I don't have to remove the antenna.

View attachment 121845

View attachment 121846

View attachment 121847

View attachment 121848

View attachment 121849
Hey quick question.
Did you use self taping screws to mount the bracket to inside the center console?
if so did you make a pilot hole?

I'm trying to mount my radio inside the console but afraid to crack/damage the plastic.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Hey quick question.
Did you use self taping screws to mount the bracket to inside the center console?
if so did you make a pilot hole?

I'm trying to mount my radio inside the console but afraid to crack/damage the plastic.

Guy you tagged hasn't been on here in over 18 months.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
gen2, but similar...TYT TH9800, GJ chase light antenna mount..i made the faceplate out of a piece of carbon fiber from amazon which was about $20 for 2 4"x 8" pieces

20191225_182630.jpgIMG-20200108-WA0010.jpegIMG-20200108-WA0014.jpegIMG-20200108-WA0012.jpeg