Using Acronyms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may take a beating for this, but I'll say it anyways. I'm a 65 year old Raptor owner, I do all my own servicing, mods and work on my vehicles, since I was 16. Unfortunately, as I get older and more things become electronically operated, I'm being pushed out of doing a lot of work on newer vehicles.

I come on here to read about products and issues that people post about. I try to contribute, but I'm limited to more mechanical mods, like adding AMP running boards, toneau cover, etc.

So here's my issue......people post on here using all types of acronyms and terminology that only a few understand. As an example, there is a post running about the IWE vacuum hose. Someone asked what the acronym stood for and another answered, but that was it.

When I post about something technical, like on my motor home, I first explain what the item is and how it works and then I talk about what I did. This forum would be so much BETTER, if people would take into account that not everyone is on the same technical level.

So it would greatly help if something like the IWE is identified and explained, then everyone can understand the issue. I read the entire post and I still don't know what it does.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of military, cops, and firefighters on this forum. Not to mention a ton of O&G (Oil and gas) guys. These are typically industries built on acronyms. Not to mention a lot of auto forums seem to have specific acronyms that develop for specific vehicles.

It seems to sort of the norm. You will learn them pretty rapidly as you read through posts. I’ve only been here 10 months and picked on on most.

I agree that it would be nice if there was sticky with a dictionary of sorts everyone could reference for the most commonly used.

Most of the time a quick google search will get you the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Don S

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of military, cops, and firefighters on this forum. Not to mention a ton of O&G (Oil and gas) guys. These are typically industries built on acronyms. Not to mention a lot of auto forums seem to have specific acronyms that develop for specific vehicles.

It seems to sort of the norm. You will learn them pretty rapidly as you read through posts. I’ve only been here 10 months and picked on on most.

I agree that it would be nice if there was sticky with a dictionary of sorts everyone could reference for the most commonly used.

Most of the time a quick google search will get you the answer.

I agree with what you said and there are a ton of pretty common acronyms on every forum that carry over from one to another. But, when you're talking about a part, like the IWE, it's not an acronym, but the first letters or initials of a part. I worked for 35 years in law enforcement. I could talk in lingo that would quickly become boring for those who aren't in the know and most wouldn't understand.

I'm just asking for people to spell out what their talking about in the first reference of that item and then they can switch to the acronym or initials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may take a beating for this, but I'll say it anyways. I'm a 65 year old Raptor owner, I do all my own servicing, mods and work on my vehicles, since I was 16. Unfortunately, as I get older and more things become electronically operated, I'm being pushed out of doing a lot of work on newer vehicles.

I come on here to read about products and issues that people post about. I try to contribute, but I'm limited to more mechanical mods, like adding AMP running boards, toneau cover, etc.

So here's my issue......people post on here using all types of acronyms and terminology that only a few understand. As an example, there is a post running about the IWE vacuum hose. Someone asked what the acronym stood for and another answered, but that was it.

When I post about something technical, like on my motor home, I first explain what the item is and how it works and then I talk about what I did. This forum would be so much BETTER, if people would take into account that not everyone is on the same technical level.

So it would greatly help if something like the IWE is identified and explained, then everyone can understand the issue. I read the entire post and I still don't know what it does.
In
The
Same
Boat

better idea. JUTFLOEW

just use the first letter of every word

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score

When I run across an acronym that I don't understand, I'll either ask a question or google it. Youtube can often be a good resource for many things.

While I get that it would be useful to have users provide some detail background in their posts for the people who don't know the basics, it's not something you're going to get users to do on a regular basis....particularly if they are looking to converse with people well versed on a subject rather than educate those who don't know.

As far as having a central translation guide on the site, or perhaps some basic education...not sure moderators want to maintain that. As well, it's going to spark debate on how best to explain these things, as everyone has opinions. Besides, as I said before, the internet is already full of information.

I do get that it can be perhaps a bit intimidating, but over all, I would say this site doesn't expect people to only post if you're an expert on a subject.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score

YSATI = you suck at the internet

Ford IWE google search = https://www.google.com/search?q=for.....69i57j0l9.2000j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What is Ford IWE?

For the uninitiated, Ford's Integrated Wheel End (IWE) system is what locks and unlocks the front hubs when you change back and forth from 2WD and 4WD. ... The IWE system is made up of four basic parts: 1). The IWE Solenoid/Valve Assembly (part# 7L1Z-9H465-B), which controls the flow of vacuum when you change drives.

not to be a complete jerk...but take some initiative and do a search. Nobody wants to type out a 3 sentence paragraph when you can just type IWE.

OP
OP
Don S

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YSATI = you suck at the internet

Ford IWE google search = https://www.google.com/search?q=for.....69i57j0l9.2000j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

What is Ford IWE?

For the uninitiated, Ford's Integrated Wheel End (IWE) system is what locks and unlocks the front hubs when you change back and forth from 2WD and 4WD. ... The IWE system is made up of four basic parts: 1). The IWE Solenoid/Valve Assembly (part# 7L1Z-9H465-B), which controls the flow of vacuum when you change drives.

not to be a complete jerk...but take some initiative and do a search. Nobody wants to type out a 3 sentence paragraph when you can just type IWE.

Thanks for explaining what the IWE does!

With that said, I have over 17K posts in an RV forum. When I discuss something, it only takes a few minutes to explain what I'm posting about and why. I get private messages on almost a daily basis and phone calls from people all over the country, thanking me for the thoroughness of my threads. I NEVER tell anyone to look something up. Maybe it's a generational thing.

I guess if taking a few moments to explain something on here is too much work, I'll just give up on this forum.