Upgrading Sound System Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
are you hearing
- the amplifier fan(s)?
- ventilated seats fan?
- heater/ a/c fan?

do you hear it with the radio on, engine off?
do you hear it with ignition on, engine off?

I’ve definitely caught both the vented seats fan and the amplifier fans running, very subtle, but there.

OP
OP
K

Kbobk

Reaction score
For you guys that upgraded your stock sound system with a new amplified speaker system. Do you hear a sound coming from the speakers when there’s no music playing that sounds kinda like air blowing.

I had the system professionally installed and he told me that’s normal to hear on an amplified system. When I turn the volume up to a healthy level you can’t hear it anymore. However it’s really annoying when the radio isn’t turned up. Whatever everyone’s experience with this?
No I don't notice that sound.

johnlocal3

Reaction score
are you hearing
- the amplifier fan(s)?
- ventilated seats fan?
- heater/ a/c fan?

do you hear it with the radio on, engine off?
do you hear it with ignition on, engine off?

I’ve definitely caught both the vented seats fan and the amplifier fans running, very subtle, but there.

Its with the engine running and I believe when it’s not running also but I gotta double check. Its when I’m Playing music through my phone via Bluetooth. It sounds like air blowing from the speakers. Its not noticeable with the normal radio or XM radio because your here the music over it.

With the Bluetooth I can put my volume level to say 18 or 20 and have the music paused I’m so it’s extremely noticeable.
If I unpause the music the sound drowns it out.

If I put my sound volume down to 4 or 5 with the music paused it’s a very low hissing, like air blowing. If I turn it up to 20 or more with the music paused it’s much louder.

My stereo guy said that’s normal but adjustments could probably me made. Now mind you I’m just speaking to him over the phone and explaining this so he hasn’t been here in person yet to check it.

It just seems very Obnoxious, I feel like I can still hear it with the volume turned up but I’m not sure if it’s just in my head at this point.

I have all Hertz speakers and amplifiers with 2x 10” Rocksford subs.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
do you still have the fake engine noise enabled? that could cause what you’re describing.

johnlocal3

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ll check when I get home. What’s the point of fake engine noise in the first place ?

smurfslayer

Reaction score
there are 2 interlinked functions
1) cabin engine noise “enhancement”
2) active noise cancellation.

don’t get all wound up about the ANC, it’s nothing like what you get from a decent pair of bose noise cancelling headgear. I’m pretty sure it’s just blanketing the cabin with a humming frequency to cover, rather than cancel low level cabin noise.

it can be shut off by the dealer at your request - do it when you purchase and ask for it up front to avoid the service charge

or you can turn it off with Forscan.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure I’ll check when I get home. What’s the point of fake engine noise in the first place ?

Because Ford wanted their engine to sound more like a V8 and to mask the sound from the turbos, thinking it would be more appealing inside the cab.

I don't have an issue with it personally, with the stock audio setup. However, if you've customized your audio at all, the engine noise can sound obviously fake. For me, with the PX6 tablet, there are times when the fake engine noise doesn't kick. So now I'm hearing inconsistent engine noise, which I really don't like as inconsistencies give me concern that something is amiss. I imagine I'll be turning the fake noise off if/when I go with forscan.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For you guys that upgraded your stock sound system with a new amplified speaker system. Do you hear a sound coming from the speakers when there’s no music playing that sounds kinda like air blowing.

I had the system professionally installed and he told me that’s normal to hear on an amplified system. When I turn the volume up to a healthy level you can’t hear it anymore. However it’s really annoying when the radio isn’t turned up. Whatever everyone’s experience with this?

No. Not normal.

Mine is silent as can be when volume is set to zero, or when i have volume set to 25 but media is paused.

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put a system in my boat and it buzzed with the motor running. it turned out the amp wasnt' grounded correctly. may need dedicated source and ground to the battery? Just an idea for ya. GL, that would bug me too.