Upgrading Sound System Again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kbobk

Reaction score
Next week I'm upgrading to the following:
  • Zen-A2B
  • Foxbox ported for two 10's
    • Planning to carpet the box so its not cheesy with the engraved Ford and Foxbox.
  • P3 10's 4ohm DVC
  • Rockford Fosgate R1200 for subs
    • Plan to run at 1ohm and keep gain lower, but we'll see. Might go to 2ohm and turn it up.
  • Arc 450.4 Amp for mid’s/highs
    • Focal 6.5 Components front doors and A-Pillar
    • Leaving the Pioneer speakers in the back doors from the $500 upgrade thread which I installed when I bought the truck.
When moving to the Zen is there any point in keeping the center channel in the dash?

I'm looking forward to being able to tune it better and turn it up louder. I'll take some pics once it's wrapped up and post them.

If anyone is interested in the LOC, sub AMP, single 10" under the rear seat box, Polk 10" and Pioneer front speakers/tweets let me know. I'd sell it all for $250 for a local pick-up (Houston/Woodlands). The bits are only a year and few months old and in great shape. The box is from supercrew sounds and is carpeted in black with the upgraded terminals. Sub is a shallow mount DVC Polk. It rocks 100 times better than stock, but I got the itch to take it further.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
center channel is not needed. i do not miss it at all. better speakers with proper power fixes the sound stage the center channel was trying to compensate for.

MinGrey02Stg2

Reaction score
I just ordered a similar setup to yours:

NavTV ZEN-A2B

Dual 10 Foxbox
Rockford Fosgate 1200-1D Amp
Rockford Fosgate P3 4ohm DVC 10s

Rockford Fosgate T600-4 Amp
Rockford Fosgate T2652-S 6.5" components

I'll make sure to take some photos. I hope you keep the thread updated so I can see your progress and/or bounce some questions off of you.

Are you doing the install yourself or having a shop do it?

OP
OP
K

Kbobk

Reaction score
I just ordered a similar setup to yours:

NavTV ZEN-A2B

Dual 10 Foxbox
Rockford Fosgate 1200-1D Amp
Rockford Fosgate P3 4ohm DVC 10s

Rockford Fosgate T600-4 Amp
Rockford Fosgate T2652-S 6.5" components

I'll make sure to take some photos. I hope you keep the thread updated so I can see your progress and/or bounce some questions off of you.

Are you doing the install yourself or having a shop do it?

I strongly considered the T600 for the mid’s/highs.

I’m having an installer do the work. He’s a small shop here who’s done a number of projects for me over the past 10 years (five cars/trucks and two boats). Really good guy who does quality work at a fair price. He’s the one who strongly suggested the Arc amps. He suggested I go Arc for the sub and mid’s/highs, but I couldn’t get past the value and good reviews of the Fosgate 1200 for the subs. He’s put focal, Arc and image dynamic bits in most of my previous builds.

I’ll post pics and impressions. Can’t wait to be able to turn the volume up and not have the sound clipped and for it all to be tunable. Plus the hammer of two ported subs in the truck.…

OP
OP
K

Kbobk

Reaction score
Got it all installed and it jams. The Zen is easy to configure and the Foxbox sounds great. It doesn’t hit as quite as low as I’d wanted, but it has plenty of bass for two 10’s. I have the gain maybe 3/4 and flat on the head unit. I’m sure it’ll get even stronger once the subs are broken in. The Focals are great. Crisp and clean. I still hate the fox and ford routered into the face of the subbox and I don’t see a good way to carpet it and cover them up. But for less than $250 for the box it can’t be beat.

I’m very happy with the sound. I’m looking forward to the next road trip now.

B78CD2C2-C8A1-42AA-B96B-7C05BF1C653E.jpeg AFE3A05F-AA5A-412D-8EA5-D6675A4D5B64.jpeg

MinGrey02Stg2

Reaction score
Got it all installed and it jams. The Zen is easy to configure and the Foxbox sounds great. It doesn’t hit as quite as low as I’d wanted, but it has plenty of bass for two 10’s. I have the gain maybe 3/4 and flat on the head unit. I’m sure it’ll get even stronger once the subs are broken in. The Focals are great. Crisp and clean. I still hate the fox and ford routered into the face of the subbox and I don’t see a good way to carpet it and cover them up. But for less than $250 for the box it can’t be beat.

Nice, clean install! My FoxBox is to be delivered tomorrow and I'll hopefully be installing this weekend! Thanks for those photos... I'll shoot for the same wiring setup. Did you hook a laptop up to the ZEN and configure things or is the "out of the box" config acceptable?

OP
OP
K

Kbobk

Reaction score
There is some slight configuring needed, so not an out of the box deal. Nothing difficult and the unit includes instructions. I need to get back into it and adjust the volume on the beep for the proximity sensors still.

OP
OP
K

Kbobk

Reaction score
If anyone’s interested I’m selling my previous gear for $250. Under the seat box, Polk 12”, amp, loc, pioneer speakers and tweeters for the front. All in perfect working condition. D974A7D4-2B4E-4F20-87ED-48A429A737B4.jpeg70583B94-8159-4702-9E90-586C3031A410.jpeg

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 129746 View attachment 129747

You weren't kidding. That foxbox (vented) with 2 10" P3D2 hit ridiculously hard. Very happy with that box. I put Fox ES165KX2 in the front and EC165K in the rear.

johnlocal3

Reaction score
For you guys that upgraded your stock sound system with a new amplified speaker system. Do you hear a sound coming from the speakers when there’s no music playing that sounds kinda like air blowing.

I had the system professionally installed and he told me that’s normal to hear on an amplified system. When I turn the volume up to a healthy level you can’t hear it anymore. However it’s really annoying when the radio isn’t turned up. Whatever everyone’s experience with this?