Updated MPT Tune after Ford PCM Update - WOW!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BendSprinter

Reaction score
Never been able to load the 93 (west coast) but on the 91prx I have noticed firm shifting for the first day or so then smoothing out. The updated tune from the PCM update was super smooth right out of the box.

I rarely run the truck in Sport mode. I don’t like the hanging shifts that are part of it. The nice thing about never going into sport is that on the rare occasion I do I am amazed at the power even with the 91prx.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the update BendSprinter. I've been looking at a tuner and found a lot of good feedback on this forum regarding MPT. I do have a question for you, what interface device are you using to load the tune and does it require constant connection? I've looked at MPT's website and it appears you have 2 options - Cobb and NGauge. I'm not necessarily a fan of having to mount anything inside my cab permanently. I had a Livernois tuner on my 2013 and it was fairly straight forward... Connect, load tune, disconnect.

there are other devices to load tunes like SCT offers a few versions, & not sure bout cobb (personally wouldn’t get a cobb tune & not getting into it b/c I’ve beaten it to death) but I’m sure MPT can load their tunes onto those other brand devices- they also can be mounted in the can but are more for load & remove or to have hooked up while doing data logging. Mainly because they’re simpler devices & less “sexy” looking I guess.

I would also check out Gearhead, Livernois, & 5 star

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running stock on my 18 and I have no complaints here. The truck runs exactly the way I want it to without burning up all the fuel. If I want to have fun then I just throw it into sport mode and have fun times. If these trucks didnt have drive modes then I would be totally on the same page with you. I do plan on tuning after relocating my intercooler but itll be pretty modest compared to most folks on here.

Clinsta

Reaction score
Thanks Badger. I understand the constant connection for data logging now. I had a 2000 F250 that I had actually put a chip in to get some pretty remarkable power gains, but I also had to put a pyrometer and a boost gauge on my A-pillar and I never could get used to the look of aftermarket stuff stuck on or mounted to the interior of my truck. Guess it's just a pet peeve that I can't get past.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
I've been running stock on my 18 and I have no complaints here. The truck runs exactly the way I want it to without burning up all the fuel. If I want to have fun then I just throw it into sport mode and have fun times. If these trucks didnt have drive modes then I would be totally on the same page with you. I do plan on tuning after relocating my intercooler but itll be pretty modest compared to most folks on here.

It is hard to describe how much more lively the truck is between stock and tuned. Dont take my example as a diss on the trans tune, I've submitted logs and so far it pretty much is just me being overly paranoid :) I avoid sport mode unless i'm also using the paddles, because I too dislike how long and high it holds gears after you've reached the speed you want. But in normal mode, with MPT's tune, the truck feel so light, fast and nibble with just part-throttle boost. It takes very little pedal input to jump into traffic, its beautiful.

Fever

Reaction score
Gents, had my Gen 2 for 6 weeks so far (2020, Magnetic, 802A). I upgraded from my (now sons) 2013 Platinum. Can't express how much I enjoy driving it. So far I installed ceramic tint all around (20%, except windshield), fog lights from off-road alliance (great OEM look), and now am waiting on my JDM tune to arrive (maybe before July 4th weekkend)!

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had installed the cooler plugs before installing the GearHeads tune. I drove it for 3-4 days with the new plugs and they were the only change to the truck with less then 2000 miles on it.

I did notice a difference on the throttle response, not huge but not the same as stock. I also did notice how much easier it seemed to be to break the tire loose and in sport mode a bid difference

Then putting in the GearHeads tune along with their trans tune and it drove like a different truck, no more hard ***** in stock drive mode. It really made the truck feel like it was supposed to be that way, only my opinion and everyone`s truck is not the same.

I am 100% happy with the tune and trans tune from GearHeads. The tune was their Performance and tow, I do not know what they had gapped the plugs to 0.26 to 0.28 but I know I was told by them that they were going to reset the gap before they sent them out. I chose a BDX SCT Programmer and for $575.00 without the plugs I could not be happier with it

I also purchased a tune from 5 star but have yet to try it. Ready and waiting

tech10002

Reaction score
I'm with you, man. I'm running a Cobb Stage 2 w/ TCM. My point is that there is a lot of bad info on this forum regarding tunes and warranty. Your experience proves it.

Agree completely. There’s a lot of “the sky is falling” type posts on tunes and voiding your warranty.

They can’t blanket void the warranty. That’s illegal and violates the Moss Magnuson act. They can deny an individual claim though if they can prove your mod caused it.

Is there a risk to running tunes? Absolutely.
If you show up with a connecting rod drove through the block you better believe they’re gonna look hard for signs of tuning, and Ford has people who can find it. If you show up with most problems, they don’t even check though, not that dealers have hardly any people who would even know where to look. Dealer my raptor came from didn’t know what IDS was. Lol

I ran Gearhead auto octane on my SHO for years and never had a warranty problem with just returning to stock and populating KAM by driving a little.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree completely. There’s a lot of “the sky is falling” type posts on tunes and voiding your warranty.

They can’t blanket void the warranty. That’s illegal and violates the Moss Magnuson act. They can deny an individual claim though if they can prove your mod caused it.

Total ******** from a guy that joined 4 days ago. First off, it's the Magnuson-Moss act, not Moss- Magnuson. Show me one thread in here that ever said a tune will invalidate an entire warranty. I'll wait. I want to see all of "the sky is falling" posts and threads from the know nothing people that are on this forum.

Last edited: