Tuning Do's, Don'ts, and FAQ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This will be an on going thread because this is a huge subject.

DO
Tell the dealer if your truck has a tune. Especially if you have cams, supercharger, or other parts that need the tune to perform correctly and not wipe out your engine.

DON'T
This is for people who return to stock. Never let a dealer reflash your PCM once you have locked a tuner to your truck. Chances are it will be an updated strategy and then the tuner will not recognize it and you will have to get a new tune.

For people who can't return to stock. Same as above but instead it will erase your tune and may cost you your engine.

FAQ
How can the dealer if I've loaded a tune but return to stock before bring it to the dealer?
I will be honest I didn't know this until I was reading through a campaign message for 5.0 F-150s and Mustangs but when you load a tune it erases the Mode 6 data from the car. The IDS(factory scan tool) can read this info so can any scan tool with global OBD abilities. Ford wants all EB and 5.0 cars and trucks checked because of people pushing the engines. As far as Raptors go that may be up to the tech.

Why does my tuner want to know the type of gas I use?
First off don't answer that question with whatever is cheapest. Always use national name brand gas. For example I only run BP, Shell, and Sunoco in my truck. Different regions run different blends of gas durning different times of the year. The tuner needs to know to plan out how he is going to get the most power out of your vehicle. Another example is my truck was tuned for the fuel in NC but here in MI my truck runs horrible because of the difference in fuel and some environmental factors.

Should I get a bad gas tune?
Yes, without a doubt, now not every tuner does but this is if you have to stop at that 1 gas station in the middle of BFE. If you have an FI truck this would be the tune to run if you have to run 87 for whatever reason say out on the trail and the only thing anyone has is 87.

Should I let my tuner turn off my 5.4L truck's FFV abilities?
N/A Trucks no there is no good reason to do this. Truck will make changes for E-85 based on its owned factory parameters and your regular gas tune. Personal note I run both 93 and E-85 in my truck and have had zero problems with switching
FI Trucks Yes you should. E-85 is not as consistent as gas. So it may be E-85 one fill up and E-75 the next time. Because of the rich running nature of E-85 and the amount of demand for FI that is asking a lot for stock injectors and fuel pump.

Last edited:

Bryson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info thanks :peace:

Ford Racing Light bar (KC Lights)|Ford Racing cam covers (blue)|AIRAID Intake|5-Star SCT Tune|Borla s-type cat back exhaust|BFG mud terrain KM2 35''|TRAIN HORN| Ridgid ind. fog lights|

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good info. never knew

"DON'T
This is for people who return to stock. Never let a dealer reflash your PCM once you have locked a tuner to your truck. Chances are it will be an updated strategy and then the tuner will not recognize it and you will have to get a new tune."

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good info. never knew

"DON'T
This is for people who return to stock. Never let a dealer reflash your PCM once you have locked a tuner to your truck. Chances are it will be an updated strategy and then the tuner will not recognize it and you will have to get a new tune."

Friend of mine learned that the hard way. Lucky for her all she had was an 07 V-6 Stang with an intake and exhaust. Car ran like shit but was still able to be driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info. never knew

"DON'T

I always thought that returning to stock would unlock your tuner? Then you could tune it again after the dealer did the re-flash.