Truck performance cold vs operating temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thiccboi

Reaction score
2011 raptor. I’ve noticed the that the truck seems much more nimble and responsive when the engine and trans temps are at ambient temperatures. For example, 0700 , pull out of driveway, it’s 70 degrees out, & drive to work—the truck pulls quick and hard with no hesitation through the gears. At 1600 or later when the ambient temps are higher and the truck reaches operating temp in traffic, the transmission shifts significantly much more sluggish. The 1-4 gears are a complete dog to get through. The RPMS stick more and it feels like I’ve gained a few thousand pounds of weight. The only exception is if I really step on the gas, it downshifts and pulls hard. However, normal acceleration is bogged down.

Truck is tuned with a 5star tune. The engine and trans have 60k on the clock.

Replaced all coils and plugs within 6 months. No cats. Straight pipe with an axle dump. No cel. Cold air intake.

Situation is bizarre. It’s much more noticeable on really hot days when the trans temp goes above 180 degrees. Once those temps are hit, the trans becomes an absolute dog almost like it’s bogging. Any ideas ?

The trans fluid is 60k old.. so I’ll try that next week but I can’t imagine the fluid causing these issues.

OP
OP
T

thiccboi

Reaction score
I want to highlight that trans temp is the only factor that causes this. It happens in all driving scenarios. It was less noticeable in winter though.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
When was the last time you cleaned the mass air flow sensor? Transmission fluid is 12 years old and way past time to change it.

OP
OP
T

thiccboi

Reaction score
When was the last time you cleaned the mass air flow sensor? Transmission fluid is 12 years old and way past time to change it.

New Maf.. as of 5 weeks ago
Trans fluid is 3 years old. 60k on it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some loss in performance is normal in higher temps; air is less dense and the engine becomes heat soaked. However, that should not affect transmission shifting unless the transmission is overheating for some reason.

Without DTCs or other symptoms, the major variable is your tune. I would start by flashing it back to stock and re-evaluate the condition.