TRR15 April 16-19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandtrooper29

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am coming in on Thursday from Alabama (leaving wednesday) and looking to rent a camper in the Fort Worth area or closer to Blackwell. Do you guys have any recommendations for rv rental companies? Or at least any to stay away from? Thanks in advance! Also, it would be preferable to be able to return it on Sunday if you guys know anyone that allows that.

http://www.amtrv.com/custompage2.asp?pg=rentals.

I don't know anything about these guys but about the only one I found close. The one in Sweetwater has rented all of their out.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am coming in on Thursday from Alabama (leaving wednesday) and looking to rent a camper in the Fort Worth area or closer to Blackwell. Do you guys have any recommendations for rv rental companies? Or at least any to stay away from? Thanks in advance! Also, it would be preferable to be able to return it on Sunday if you guys know anyone that allows that.
@TMX Engineer should know. they always get one and return on sundays

I'm an idiot.

i know.......

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any recommendations on the best route to take to get to Sweetwater from Houston? Google/Bing directions show going out 290 from Houston and going through Temple then to Abilene. Mostly TX 290/36/190 meeting up with I-20 in Abilene and taking that into Sweetwater. I wasn't sure what the speed limits were on those roads, or if they were any better/worse than going out I-10 or 290 to Austin and heading up to Brownwood then to Abilene. The mileage is more, but I'm more familiar with the I-10/290 routes and know the speed limits are 75 for the most part. I'll be towing our Raptor on a trailer, so the better route for towing is preferred. Thanks for any suggestions.

csmartinez

Reaction score
Any recommendations on the best route to take to get to Sweetwater from Houston? Google/Bing directions show going out 290 from Houston and going through Temple then to Abilene. Mostly TX 290/36/190 meeting up with I-20 in Abilene and taking that into Sweetwater. I wasn't sure what the speed limits were on those roads, or if they were any better/worse than going out I-10 or 290 to Austin and heading up to Brownwood then to Abilene. The mileage is more, but I'm more familiar with the I-10/290 routes and know the speed limits are 75 for the most part. I'll be towing our Raptor on a trailer, so the better route for towing is preferred. Thanks for any suggestions.

The Houston Area Raptor Owners (HARO) Facebook group is taking this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29....1!1s0x86563155288d2883:0xc4190affcbfb5615!3e0.

A group of members is planning on leaving Houston at 6 am on Thursday.

TheButcher

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Houston Area Raptor Owners (HARO) Facebook group is taking this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29....1!1s0x86563155288d2883:0xc4190affcbfb5615!3e0.

A group of members is planning on leaving Houston at 6 am on Thursday.

Thanks. We are leaving Wednesday mid-day and going to stay at the Hampton Inn in Sweetwater. Looks like making it to Abilene and taking I-20 West to Sweetwater is the way to go, just trying to figure out the best route to get to Abilene.

csmartinez

Reaction score
Thanks. We are leaving Wednesday mid-day and going to stay at the Hampton Inn in Sweetwater. Looks like making it to Abilene and taking I-20 West to Sweetwater is the way to go, just trying to figure out the best route to get to Abilene.

Several of us are staying at the Sweetwater Hampton Inn as well. We'll see you there ... Safe travels!

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey trey will you have the current Gps file on hand there? The one you posted on Facebook is the old one or at least I thought it was lol hahaha lakehouse

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took this route a 'thousand' times...great little drive. I would come 290 out of Houston, stop for a Coke at the Buckee's in Basrtop, pick up 183 in Austin (if you are not adverse to tolls, take 183A in north Austin), stop at the DQ at the 4 way stop in Cross Plains and wha-la, the next thing you know you are in the SE part of Abilene.

Just remember, mind your speed thru those small towns.