GEN 1 Transmission shifting glitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it has fluid in there. Check that bulkhead connector into the transmission, remove the wiring and look for any corrosion/wet, etc, put it back on and see if that fixes it, otherwise it might need a new leadframe or transmission rebuild. I'm almost at the point that mine is going to need a rebuild soon. Was towing my travel trailer on a test drive and every time i went up a long steep hill on the highway and then stopped on a hill it smelled like burning brakes, but the brakes were cold, pretty sure the clutches are burning up in the tranny, doesn't do it without the trailer weight behind it.

Normally that would be the case but with mine its the absolutely lowest duty a vehicle could have. Low miles (150k km), garage stored (literally for the last 2 years), I towed once with it and it was a 2k lb trailer, almost never offroad, heavy trail drive once. Thing should still be brand new.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well hopefully it’s just one of those relays for the lead frame or something easy. I’ve never even changed the fluid or filter in mine, so I expect a costly outcome :flipthebird: from the transmission shop!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've read that lead frame can fail multiple times and sounds like same symptoms. Stuck in 3rd.
Are you dropping the pan yourself! Don’t just replace the lead frame this time, buy the whole kit with the valve body, it’s listed on Rockauto I think. Most say to go that route if you’re doing it these days.
Edit: I just looked on their site, no go and the lead frame is out of stock even though they call it something else on there.

OP
OP
matrix243

matrix243

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved, I think. All this time I thought I had gotten the lead frame recall done and it was only a PCM reprogramming for the same problem. I think it was early on with the problems and they hadn't issued the lead frame one yet, and I never got any notice about it. Weird that the reprogramming helped up until now. Need a trans flush anyways and now covered.