Transmission 6r80 oil level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max FR

Reaction score
Changed my transmission fluid and filter on my 2013 gen1 but I can’t make the level right ! When engine is stopped the fluid is at the very top, almost overflowing but when I want to check the level with engine running and in park, the level is very low like well below the ##
I did run the gears and slightly warm it up
What should I do to make the level right as it should be when running ?
Tks

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I did this last year on my 2014, I filled it as full as I could with the engine off. I then drove it five miles very gently to the local ford dealership and asked them to check the fluid level and top off if needed. It was three quarts low so they added the three quarts I had left over. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Max FR

Max FR

Reaction score
Yep, that what happened on my first filling then I had to add 3 more quarts to the top but still don’t reach the correct level when hot. It’s supposed to be the opposite, level should go higher when hot !?…

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to start it and keep it running while filling it until you reach a little below or halfway to the 2 hash marks. Drive it for a few and again while running still, check level again.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The trans cooler will come into play once the temp reaches 180 or so. You should be close but that is why I took mine to the ford dealership.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, ok I will do that
No problem, you just can’t crack the filler bolt and or fill while the engine is off now because it’s a vacuum sealed tranny. All of the fluid you have in there now would spray out of it we’re off when cracking it open

OP
OP
Max FR

Max FR

Reaction score
I’d seen that one and it’s excellent but he says to fill it up to overflow but doesn’t say about filling to the mark while running.