Transmission 6r80 oil level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No problem, you just can’t crack the filler bolt and or fill while the engine is off now because it’s a vacuum sealed tranny. All of the fluid you have in there now would spray out of it we’re off when cracking it open
What are you talking about? Vacuum sealed, please explain how that would even work.

The fluid level is higher with the engine not running because the pump and torque converter drain some fluid back to the pan. Once the engine is running the pump picks up fluid and refills the torque converter and all the passages in the transmission. Auto transmissions have always needed to be checked hot engine running.

That is one crappy thing about no dipstick, like you say pull the fluid check cover off without the engine running and expect about a 3 quart gush of fluid to come out.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Vacuum sealed, please explain how that would even work.

I mis-spoke. It HOLDS vacuum when engine off . I believe it’s one of the only few that do. But that and because There is no dip stick, you have to fill while it’s running. I understand the basic workings of a transmission…. Didn’t mean to cause any confusion.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where does the vacuum come from?? The transmission is vented to atmosphere!
I wanna say it’s simply because there isn’t a vent port… But at this point I don’t wanna spread the wrong info. Maybe @FordTechOne can school me the rest of the way? All I know is that when you crack open the fill plug while engine off, before dropping the pan you can hear air vent and escape .

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wanna say it’s simply because there isn’t a vent port… But at this point I don’t wanna spread the wrong info. Maybe @FordTechOne can school me the rest of the way? All I know is that when you crack open the fill plug while engine off, before dropping the pan you can hear air vent and escape .
As Old-Raptor-Guy stated, the transmission is vented. If you’re getting air escaping when removing the fil lol plug, the vent is most likely plugged or the check valve has failed.

OP
OP
Max FR

Max FR

Reaction score
Ok, thanks everyone for your help vaccum or not vaccum, doesn’t matter, the correct way to check the fluid level is engine running with gear boxe at hight temp and that’s fine now with me , all good on that side BUT …. I still have this damn whirling noise when in D or M and it does increase with the RPM’s. At 2000 rpm on the highway I don’t here it but on the road when passing 3000 it starts whining. It’s pretty loud in my opinion but a local shop used to work on US cars told me it’s normal on a raptor ! Personally I don’t believe that is normal ! Do you guys think it could be the TC ? Again it is definitely related to the rpm’s, not the speed.

OP
OP
Max FR

Max FR

Reaction score
The noise seems to come from the gear box, center of the car and not as far as the rear diff. If it was the pinion gear the noise would be fluctuating with the speed and not rpm’s ?! Am I correct ?