Trade 2020 Raptor for 2023 Tundra TRD Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mg32

Reaction score
Test drove a 2023 Tundra TRD Pro. The cabin tech is definitely an upgrade over my Gen 2 Raptor. Obviously the Tundra isn't as capable off road as the Raptor, but what are some other thoughts I'm over looking? I've got about 26k miles on my Raptor and (knock on wood) have not had any problems with it.

I realize that this being a Raptor forum, the general consensus will probably be don't do it... But any other constructive thoughts about the differences?

The only mods I've done to my Raptor are lights in the bezels in the front bumper, wheel well liners, bed cover, and BuiltRight bedside rack system in the bed.

If I bought the TRD Pro, I'd have to spend money right away buying a bed cover.

Raptor - Rapid Red, 802a, no sunroof, no graphics
Tundra TRD Pro - Orange, sunroof, towing, 5k markup over MSRP, black interior

What do y'all think?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Raptor - Rapid Red, 802a, no sunroof, no graphics
Holy $hit! You have a no-moonroof Rap and you want to offload it? Did someone say ‘Unicorn’?

Got to be one of ... maybe 200? Seriously, outside of Raptor Assault trucks a very, very, very, very high percentage of Raptors are saddled with the moon roof. There’s a dedicated following who want a no moonroof truck here.

That out of the way.

Test drove a 2023 Tundra TRD Pro
Your sins are great, absolution will be difficult and you must be contrite to receive God’s forgiveness.
Obviously the Tundra isn't as capable off road as the Raptor, but what are some other thoughts I'm over looking?
The Rap is a built from the ground up, off road focused, road going truck. The TRD is a road going truck with some bits that are better than a peasant Toyota with nowhere near the engineering forethought, testing and correction put into it.

The resale on the TRD is going to fall faster than the Rap, and probably fall lower.

Obviously, everything depends on your use case, but you need to honestly ask yourself what the TRD is going to do for you that your current Raptor does not.

LuckyKnuckle36

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
If you want updated tech get a GEN3 Raptor, TUNDRA TRD PRO is not a purpose built factory baja truck like the Raptor. Keep the Gen2 or upgrade to a GEN3, you will regret going to a TRD PRO from a Raptor. I'm no toyota hater, actually always admired the TRD pro's but as a secondary (lesser) choice than a Raptor. Hard to go backwards. The pricing on the TRD Pro's are up there in Raptor category. For a little more get the real deal and enjoy the hell out of it.

OP
OP
mg32

mg32

Reaction score
Holy $hit! You have a no-moonroof Rap and you want to offload it? Did someone say ‘Unicorn’?

Got to be one of ... maybe 200? Seriously, outside of Raptor Assault trucks a very, very, very, very high percentage of Raptors are saddled with the moon roof. There’s a dedicated following who want a no moonroof truck here.

That out of the way.

Your sins are great, absolution will be difficult and you must be contrite to receive God’s forgiveness.

The Rap is a built from the ground up, off road focused, road going truck. The TRD is a road going truck with some bits that are better than a peasant Toyota with nowhere near the engineering forethought, testing and correction put into it.

The resale on the TRD is going to fall faster than the Rap, and probably fall lower.

Obviously, everything depends on your use case, but you need to honestly ask yourself what the TRD is going to do for you that your current Raptor does not.
Yeah, I got lucky finding a Raptor with no sunroof. I definitely didn't want one. When I bought my Raptor, I was trading a 2016 Ford F150 Limited with a sunroof that leaked constantly. It was constant problem. So, the minute I found a Raptor without one, I jumped on it.

My last three trucks have been Fords. 2013 Platinum. 2016 Limited. 2020 Raptor. So mainly, I was just looking at the Toyota as something different. It's a good looking truck with awesome included tech.

My initial driving impressions - driving the TRD Pro was a lot like driving my old Limited. Very nice and capable. But my Raptor is closer to driving a sports car in a truck body for sure.

I agree about a better way to upgrade my cabin tech is to move to a Gen 3. I honestly like the exterior looks of my Gen 2 slightly better though, but definitely not a deal breaker. More honestly, I haven't even looked at a Gen 3 in person at a dealer - I haven't found one locally.

I'm very much leaning towards not trading my Raptor. I like new, bright shiny things... so I appreciate you guys' input to talk me off the ledge.