Toyota making the Raptor look good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the new Tacoma TRD Pro in person the other day, and thought it was a nice little truck. I mean, if you want something smaller and lighter than a Raptor, it seems like a good choice. So when I saw they were going to do the Mint 400 next year I thought it would be cool to see the truck go up against the Raptor, assuming Foutz decided to run again next year. Both trucks have their advantages, so it would be interesting to see which came up on top.

BUT, it looks like Toyota isn't at all confident in the TRD's abilities. The truck they're running won't be in the 1200 class, but will run in another class that's called stock but allows a ton of modifications.

More engine cooling, more transmission cooling, a frame stiffening cage, completely new suspension, different wheels and tires, etc. Not so stock, but of course they're going to market it as stock regardless.

Anyway, whatever they want to do. But to me, more than anything else, their entry just validates what Foutz and Ford are doing this year. I mean, Ford got a little flack for running their truck without competition and for swapping out the springs, but the truck really is about as stock as can be, and they survived the races with only a few hiccups along the way, which is exactly what they wanted to prove they could do. Toyota on the other hand is saying out front that their stock truck isn't strong enough to finish the race.

Heck, they're saying that even lightly modified truck wouldn't make it. You've got to cut the bed, add a full frame, build a new suspension, add 3.5" shocks, add external cooling for both the engine and tranny, and buy a new set of wheels and better tires. That's a lot of mods and a lot of cash for a truck that doesn't cost all that much less to begin with.

The Raptor is looking pretty damned good in comparison.

Here's How Badly The Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro Wants To Be Taken Seriously

Last edited:

Raeyn

Reaction score
The overall quality in Gen 3 Tacoma is just bad. I was seriously thinking of buying the TRD Pro until they announced the price. And seeing the complaints on the forum, it just makes me feel that the new generation Tacoma is just like a Land Rover.