Towing and Payload

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ftroop

Reaction score
So I have a 4000 lb bass boat I'm planning to tow with the new truck and do occasionally bring home firewood from up north (5 or 6 times a summer). I'm not all to concerned with the bass boat but the firewood does concern me. Oak is heavy and will be nearly pushing my max payload. Also I don't want my headlights in the sky...
I don't want to wear my rear springs out to where towing does become an issue. So I have been looking into my options and have been considering the Timbren set up or AAL spring. Only issue with the AAL I'm hearing about is it will push the rear up another inch and it's already higher then my front so it might look weird. Anyone currently using the timbrens or have something else I should consider?
Just to add I won't be off-roading a lot maybe a few times a year.

Thanks!

Last edited:

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SDHQ has a LT airbag setup for the raptor. Or get yourself some WSI HD springs.

trayack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my street/race car around on uhaul car trailer for 1000's of miles at a time. I've got about 10,000 miles towing all said and done with the truck.

Those trailers are smaller but heavy, and the car weighs 3600lbs.

This past season I installed a set of the Firestone RideRite air bags and they performed FANTASTIC with the trailer loaded. The ride was absolutely perfect.

HOWEVER,

With no trailer or weight in the bed and the minimum 10psi in the bags per Firestone's instructions the truck rides like dump. Way to hard and wicked bouncy. Not really an issue as the bags and top brackets come off very easily. When its time to tow the car around I simply throw them back on. I leave the lines run and the lower axle brackets still attached all the time.

- Travis

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest you spend the money you are thinking about spending on towing modifications and buy a trailer suited to hauling the wood. I've got a couple of those electric/hydraulic dump trailers. They pull great and would allow you to center the load over the axles of the trailer. This will keep a lot of weight of your truck, so you won't have to sacrifice the ride you love. And when you get to where you are going, you can dump the wood out right where you need it. Another benefit would be not having someone throw a chunk of firewood through your back window or destroying a quarter panel with an ill-thrown log.

Good luck with your decision!!!!!

DC Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given what you've described as for how you intend to use your Raptor. I would go with the Timbren.

I have used the both the air bag system (Firestone) and the jounce system (Timbren). Like any other mod you do they have both plus and minuses. IMO the air bags are the ultimate tow/ haul solution for any vehicle that tows/ hauls on a regular basis and doesn't offroad very much. The problem with offroading and air bags is that they attach to both the axle and the frame of the truck. Which either limits the amount of travel you get or risk tearing the air bags.

The jounce system is more bouncey when a load is engaged compared to air bags (the negative). But allows you the freedom to do everything with your truck. And it is typically cheaper and installs in minutes.

Just my $.02

Dom

OP
OP
Ftroop

Ftroop

Reaction score
Appreciate the input thinking I might go with the timbrens considering it's a smaller investment. I do concede that air bags are ultimately the best solution for my payload problem, but the empty ride quality issues worry me.
Ugh I guess I will continue my research considering I won't be making a decision for another month or so.

michealj

Reaction score
I put the Timbrens on mine and they worked great for me. I have a boat and camper I pull in the summer from storage to the lake, only about 10 miles each way, but the camper is about 7,500 pounds and the boat 5,000 pounds. The Timbrens keep the truck from squatting to far and I have not noticed a bouncy ride at all. If I go very far with the camper I hook up the weight distribution hitch, but for shorter trips I just hook up and go.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ftroop,

We have used our Gen 2 Adjustable Bump System for years now with great success and have put thousands of miles of real world testing proving it's worth. Numerous FRF members have towed anything from boats to 30ft camper style trailers with our ABS system with no issues. It's basically 3 systems in one.

First and foremost it will protect the frame from bending upon harsh compression hits in the dirt. By adding a Fox or King 2.5 inch bump stop, you can put the pressures as low as 10 psi all the way up to 400psi depending on your need. For example, I have loaded up the bed of one of our Raptors with about 2K pounds worth of parts. Before we loaded up, we adjusted the bump can position to the tow/payload setting and pumped up the psi to about 225psi. When we were done, we dropped the pressures back down to 35psi moved the can back into the the normal stock position and we were good to go for normal use.

The Gen 2 ABS system also has the ability to move into X-treme offroad possition if you ever choose to go with one of our bypass racks or possibly an Icon RXT rear shock. X-treme offroad gives you about 2inch's of extra bump travel depending on what shock you go with.

Here is more info on the Gen 2 ABS system.

Gen Two Adjustable Bump System

It's basically three unique systems in one kit for the same price as the others which offer 66% less functionality.

Jarrett

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Save yourself some money and put a couple of the oak logs between the axle and the frame. The ride might be a little rough but you will have a fatter wallet to soak up the bumps [emoji1591][emoji1303][emoji1305]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Save yourself some money and put a couple of the oak logs between the axle and the frame. The ride might be a little rough but you will have a fatter wallet to soak up the bumps [emoji1591][emoji1303][emoji1305]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My soul hurts reading that...