Towing a large boat with the gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomG

Reaction score
I drag a 2022 Malibu 25lsv behind my Gen 3. Tows way way better than my Gen2 did. The towing setting really helps. My boat is like 10k on the trailer, so I don’t go too far, but for a 5k boat I think you’ll be just fine. You can’t use a wdh with a typical boat trailer with surge brakes.

OP
OP
C

clemsondds

Reaction score
I drag a 2022 Malibu 25lsv behind my Gen 3. Tows way way better than my Gen2 did. The towing setting really helps. My boat is like 10k on the trailer, so I don’t go too far, but for a 5k boat I think you’ll be just fine. You can’t use a wdh with a typical boat trailer with surge brakes.
Wow that's a boat! Passed one at the ramp pulling out and was just shocked at how big they are! Good to hear that the gen 3 can do that...I think you guys have talked me into sticking with the raptor. Since 95% of it's life of whatever I buy will be used as my daily driver...I think I would much prefer a raptor over a 3/4 ton. Still not completely decided but that's the way I'm leaning. Thanks for your feedback!

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you towed with yours?

Nope. Have an F250 for that. We have a Silverado 1500 too, and have towed with that some….the 1/2 tons will do it, and usually with power to spare. But you can feel the trailer a lot. The bigger trucks just have the weight needed to offset. If our boat was trailered every weekend, rather than lift kept, I would get a 3/4 ton. It’s a sea Ray 260 sun deck. I pulled it back from Chattanooga to table rock lake behind a Denali 1/2 ton I had….doable, but felt lacking.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_6295.jpeg

No long hauls with the raptor, just back and forth to storage. I do have airlift airbags but I have yet to install them.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I made the mistake of picking up 1k of corn last weekend on the way to our ranch…thought I didn’t need the trailer. Mistake
Yeah, I've had 800lbs of fuel pellets in the bed several times (20 minutes at most). That's pushing it. Of course I'm in a Gen 1, but.... Raps aren't made for heavy loads on a regular basis.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've had 800lbs of fuel pellets in the bed several times (20 minutes at most). That's pushing it. Of course I'm in a Gen 1, but.... Raps aren't made for heavy loads on a regular basis.
Definitely not. The g3 has a decent payload on paper but this shows that it isn’t fun.

Maybe it’s the level, but I can’t even use cruise control when I am towing a small 18ft boat.

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your gen2 sag I would suggest a set of timbrens. Before everybody starts making fun I know it’s not a great thing to use but if occasionally you have to tow they are easy enough to put on and use. I would have to pick up full pallets of water occasionally and pull my 35’ boats out of the water a couple times a year. Won’t get into how heavy the boats were just in case we have some OSHA inspectors here. They really helped with the sag and can be removed when done.View attachment 418902View attachment 418903
Any trouble getting traction pulling that thing out on a wet steep ramp?

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would always use 4x4 just to make sure but no. Although the first time I tried it I was nervous.