Tow Hitch Brake Light Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a solution to utilize the trailer connection(s) to add a third brake light in the hitch?

I set everything up with the rooftop tent to go out for the first time tomorrow. Knowing it would block the third brake light I ordered a cheapo $15 hitch mounted brake light off amazon that connects to the 4-pin. It's a ************* so I definitely need a nicer one, but the problem is the truck thinks I'm towing something. I tried to see if I can setup a profile for like a "hitch light only" option but doesn't seem to work.

Anyone have a solution for this? I figured I could splice in connector somewhere but where does the computer receive the signal that a trailer is connected? I.e. is there anywhere to tap into that trailer brake wire where it isn't going to confuse the computer? Worst case I'll tap into one of the side brake lights.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone? Just going to splice one of the tail lights if nobody knows how to tap into the hitch brake light without making the truck think there’s a trailer attached.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.putco.com/mb_cpa/index/download/id/3621/file/RedBlade_92010-XX_Sept_2019.pdf/

this is how the putco bar works with the raptor without throwing codes or thinking trailer is attached. Might or might not work for you. I have this tailgate bar and no issues
I feel like these were instructions of how to disarm a bomb for the lead role of a ****** network TV show, but they were originally in Dutch, and translated by somebody who only speaks French. These are terrible haha.

But, after reading it over 3 times they’re basically just splicing into tail light wiring which is what my next step was going to be.

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like these were instructions of how to disarm a bomb for the lead role of a ****** network TV show, but they were originally in Dutch, and translated by somebody who only speaks French. These are terrible haha.

But, after reading it over 3 times they’re basically just splicing into tail light wiring which is what my next step was going to be.
as long as the tow hit brake light doesnt take too much power. you should be fine. The putco takes a signal from the tail lights, but its drawing power from a always on hitch wire.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone? Just going to splice one of the tail lights if nobody knows how to tap into the hitch brake light without making the truck think there’s a trailer attached.

Don’t splice into the tail lamps. The BCM monitors the current draw in the circuits via FETs and will set DTCs and possibly disable the circuit output due to the increase in current from the additional lighting. Once the DTC sets a pre-determined amount of times the circuit will be disabled and the BCM needs to be replaced.