Tow capacity of a 2020

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal993

Reaction score
If it helps anyone to see a real-world example of how a Raptor loads up fast when towing, here’s my little worksheet as I learn the new-to-me truck.

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 1.09.57 PM.png

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it helps anyone to see a real-world example of how a Raptor loads up fast when towing, here’s my little worksheet as I learn the new-to-me truck.

View attachment 424062
More weight on the front than I expected. I'm guessing you weighed yours? How much do you weigh? SCREW? Moonroof? I have a no moonroof SCREW and sticker payload is 1205. Great info. Thanks.

Hal993

Reaction score
More weight on the front than I expected. I'm guessing you weighed yours? How much do you weigh? SCREW? Moonroof? I have a no moonroof SCREW and sticker payload is 1205. Great info. Thanks.
Hahahahahahaa.... I weigh 194. Fuel... in the summer... might weigh ~6lb/gal.

CAT Scale today (first full day with the 2020 SCREW Raptor - gotta get shish figured out.).

Actual Sticker Payload... if only. hahahahaaa. Moonroof means future repairs & no ice cream for me.
Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 6.20.36 PM.png

FYI: The 8lbs of payload overhead in that example was pulled from a 1/2 empty tank (1,038lbs payload).

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

OP
OP
Cybot

Cybot

Reaction score
Hey all I just wanted to say thanks for all the insight. I think what I'll probably end up doing is getting a 6300lb trailer and putting some deavers and a nice WDH. Pull it from KC to Omaha (no real mountains) for a test. If that goes well then into WY via I80 for the second test. Then if it passes both of them go into Salt Lake, there is a pretty tough pass and downgrade there. If that comes out OK, then I think I'll be good. If not I'll either be dead or I'll have to add on some more additions.

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its on your list or not, but get a 170 (or 180) Thermostat to help with the Temps when towing. Fans will come on a lot sooner.

If you really want to go all out then get an intercooler as well and get a Stage 2 Goosetune + Tow Tune.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
It'll work out just fine, until it doesn't. Could be the first trip or 1000 later. Not saying the Raptor can't tow something like that, but you don't use a finishing hammer for framing.

OP
OP
Cybot

Cybot

Reaction score
Well, then I was planning to go into northern Nevada (Elko). I figure each stage of the trip gets harder and utilizes different aspects of the tow. You got the flat country, small uphill grades, a big downhill grade, and then climbing up higher into the Rockies.

@Nex, true but honestly anything can go wrong to anything at anytime and usually goes wrong at the worst time.