Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Random thought, what about finding a way to convert the hubs to old school manual locking ones? Have to get out to lock them but hey, less things to break.

Would require a custom wheel hub unit to fit oem spindle (which no one makes as of yet), or can have a custom spindle fabricated for what ever hub you want, but then you would have to convert everything else down the line to work with new hub.

Some of the theoritical designs ive seen for manual locking hubs, to work with the oem spindle, axles etc... increased the track width over 2 inches.

wanderfalk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
`Does anyone know if the new 2015 4x4 ford trucks have the same trouble prone IWE?

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have manual locking but i got full time locked.

Yes oem 2015 same
iWe nonesense

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Absolutely no wear and tear. Have been running my system for 2 years and no increase in metal particles in diff fluids. I lost .7 mpg. It might not be a issue if you get oem 14 mpg but my truck gets 7.4 mpg

I run spydertrax unit bearings

bubbajr

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2014 with 3,1?? miles on it. Completely stock. Stock perch. 4wd is used rarely. Now with snow on the ground after this blizzard in northeast, I was finally able to find a nice unplowed parking lot to have some fun in. During first doughnut in 4h, traction disabled, and in off road mode, the front end clunked and popped like crazy just like in the videos on this thread and the front end lost power. After lifting off the throttle, 4wd was back only to have the same happen again. I read every post from page 1 and sounds like there is no help from ford or the dealers aside from replacing IWEs and vacuum lines to put a Band-Aid on the problem. Is there a warranty covered solution yet? I don't have the funds to go aftermarket for a fix. Thanks.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2014 with 3,1?? miles on it. Completely stock. Stock perch. 4wd is used rarely. Now with snow on the ground after this blizzard in northeast, I was finally able to find a nice unplowed parking lot to have some fun in. During first doughnut in 4h, traction disabled, and in off road mode, the front end clunked and popped like crazy just like in the videos on this thread and the front end lost power. After lifting off the throttle, 4wd was back only to have the same happen again. I read every post from page 1 and sounds like there is no help from ford or the dealers aside from replacing IWEs and vacuum lines to put a Band-Aid on the problem. Is there a warranty covered solution yet? I don't have the funds to go aftermarket for a fix. Thanks.

You have a cracked IWE. The dealer will warranty the replacement, however they may have a hard time diagnosing the issue. You will have to tell them that it only pops out under a load. Meaning they will have to put in 4hi, cut the wheel and get on it a bit. Or you can take them to the back parking lot, or gravel lot and do it with them in the truck so they know what is happening.

Since you use your 4 wheel drive very little, be sure to follow the best practices listed earlier in this thread. i.e. waiting before putting the truck in drive to ensure the vacuum is strong enough to disengage the IWE, never shift into 4 wheel while on the fly, etc...

bubbajr

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. I was stopped when I engaged 4wd but began moving within seconds. its a bummer to think that this awesome off road vehicle needs to be babied or it will break something.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tech will not punch your skinny pedal, it's hard to diagnose ***** footing it. The only time I find it is when I'm about to get stuck...

OP
OP
ITSALLGOOD

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faulty IWE,torsen,etc !!!!!!

My 2012 has been in the Ford Dealer on and off for over a month and still no fix for the 4x4 IWE popping and grinding when under a load on a slippery surface like snow or sand .

Now the trans is starting to have a delayed or harsh shift around 70 mph while it downshifts to make a pass etc. Ford says just a normal characteristic of the vehicle just like the faulty 4x4 system since day one. I have demanded that a Ford engineer come out and take a drive with me before I pick up the defective truck for the third time at this dealer and the dealer says since that they can't find a fixable issue Ford won't send an engineer out .

I am debating on a class action suit to wake up Ford at this point . 18k unhappy miles without a fix so far !

Last edited: