Torsen front axle problems ! anyone else ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have manual locking but i got full time locked.

Yes oem 2015 same
iWe nonesense

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Absolutely no wear and tear. Have been running my system for 2 years and no increase in metal particles in diff fluids. I lost .7 mpg. It might not be a issue if you get oem 14 mpg but my truck gets 7.4 mpg

I run spydertrax unit bearings

Glad to hear it! You keep trickling out your secret build like this and well soon be able to reverse engineer your setup! I recall you being very protective (and slightly assheaded) about divulging the details because of all the money you've spent over the years, lol.

Forgive if I'm mistaking you with another member,

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's no secret now. I actually busted my entire front end rock crawling so time for a rebuild again....
This time ... a big old giant straight axle

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 has been in the Ford Dealer on and off for over a month and still no fix for the 4x4 IWE popping and grinding when under a load on a slippery surface...

I am debating on a class action suite to wake up Ford at this point . 18k unhappy miles without a fix so far !

Now we're talking! class action suit! I would join but I personally haven't had the issue. But I agree with everyone here (even rptr) that this is a very vulnerable/weak part. Maybe I need to put it in 4hi more and really get on it, I tend to be far too level headed when it comes to the truck. Never stuck, rarely need 4x4. In fact I was told by someone at sDHQ who I respect that 4x4 should only be used under 15mph (not bombing through the snow/sand/off road) for crawling.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

It's no secret now. I actually busted my entire front end rock crawling so time for a rebuild again....
This time ... a big old giant straight axle

oUcH! Nooooo not again. But ultimately it'll probably be the best thing for your situation.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wheel spin 94 mph actual travel under 15 mph ok

I'm a farmmer I need a good 4x4 I'd agree if you don't need it leave it off but IMO your better off putting it in 4x4 if you think you might get stuck. My nearest neighbor is a mile away witch isn't bad if he's home.

The thing that pissed me off was the under 15mph remark I agree some ppl are dumb assess with these trucks but most are ok. I have a 2004 with 144,000 the 4x4 gave us some trouble I think it's fixed now. That truck has seen some farming my raptor has not with 20,000 it's all good just a week link I would hope ford would fix the ishew put on the 04 but I think it's the combination Torsten with power. < but this can't be because it usaly out when you go,to,use it. Need it. Oh I might get stuck in this snow on this road ten miles from home let me stop put it in 4x4 ok everything seams good it's fine oh no I better get on it to make it threw feeeeeeeewwwwepopopopop fewfewfefwpopopop well shit hammer down and hope for the best.

Anyhow that's how I find mine when they go out. I'm on two or three easy proses but don't want to be stuck in a South Dakota blizzard -25 30 mph winds

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torsen is brilliant. R8s have them... So do hummers. It does what it should. However a reverse front 8.8 is a dinky setup for a truck like a raptor. Ive blown my front gears Apart 3 times in 4 years.
During the winter mines always in 4hi or 4lo. It gets sketchy up here lol

seapong

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to Sea on this thread. I think he is on his 3rd transfer case in 8000 miles.

Guys,

If you are still having problems, get in touch with Crystal at FordService here on the forums. She has been super helpful in getting my case escalated promptly. PM her your VIN and best phone number.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Mine just went over the weekend. Got stuck in a sand hill and it just popped and cracked. I was able to ***** foot it in 4hi in reverse to get out but any load at all pissed her off. If I lived somewhere I needed 4wd all the time it would suck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read through all of this thread because I just bought a '14 with a Roush super charger and when getting into the recent snow storm here locally I was on a dirt road and put it in 4Hi (always easily with no throttle, etc) and immediately began hearing the teeth on the IWE grinding, made a turn into my son's friend's farm taking him home and got the dreaded pop. So, I have purchased a new solenoid, new actuators for both sides and air lines. As soon as I get them installed I will report back to see if that helped or fixed my issue and keep up with how long it lasts. I will say though, on my 2011, I went through tons of miles of very high speed 4hi action at Havoc in the hills and Snoball 1 without issues. I did finally have trouble out of it but it wound up being a broken air line that I associated with my constant high speed sideways driving style that broke the line. Replaced the line, that fixed the issue, but I went ahead and replaced the solenoid and actuators for good measure because I was already replacing everything that could possibly have any wear on that truck.

Wish me luck, I will let everyone know how my experience replacing everything including the line goes, but I do indeed want the solid fixed actuator replacement that @rptr has on his. I don't really care about mileage.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I just read through all of this thread because I just bought a '14 with a Roush super charger and when getting into the recent snow storm here locally I was on a dirt road and put it in 4Hi (always easily with no throttle, etc) and immediately began hearing the teeth on the IWE grinding, made a turn into my son's friend's farm taking him home and got the dreaded pop. So, I have purchased a new solenoid, new actuators for both sides and air lines. As soon as I get them installed I will report back to see if that helped or fixed my issue and keep up with how long it lasts. I will say though, on my 2011, I went through tons of miles of very high speed 4hi action at Havoc in the hills and Snoball 1 without issues. I did finally have trouble out of it but it wound up being a broken air line that I associated with my constant high speed sideways driving style that broke the line. Replaced the line, that fixed the issue, but I went ahead and replaced the solenoid and actuators for good measure because I was already replacing everything that could possibly have any wear on that truck.

Wish me luck, I will let everyone know how my experience replacing everything including the line goes, but I do indeed want the solid fixed actuator replacement that @rptr has on his. I don't really care about mileage.

Also check-in with @HAYNES OFFROAD, I know he is prototyping something too. I'm like you, I'd rather sacrifice mileage than function any day.