Torque Converter Causing Engine Rattle on Startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My early ‘17 build has rattled on cold starts pretty much since I took delivery of it March ‘17. Below is a link to the sound I get and unlike some on this forum, I don’t believe it’s the cam phasers. My rattle comes from the opposite end of the engine, more where it mates up to the transmission. I’ve taken it to 2 different dealers and was told by both, “they all sound like that.” Meaning all Gen2’s sound like this on startup. Which is completely false as I proved to one of the Service Advisors by having him start all 4 2019’s they had sitting on the lot. As expected, none of the ‘19s sounded like my ‘17.

After the ‘19 demo the Service Advisor did tell me it’s the torque converter making the rattle and if we replaced with a new one, the rattle would remain. He couldn’t explain what was different in the ‘17 torque converter vs the ‘19.

Since Ford won’t help, any ideas what I could replace on my own dime to get ride of this rattle every time I start the truck?

Note: the rattle is more pronounced when the AC compressor is running on startup.

nfsraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have the same rattle occasionally and the dealer told me the same. I also made it rattle more when I went up a vertical incline at Rowher Flats and make it rattle way more. My dealer basically said ride it until it breaks and come in for warranty. I think it's a shield that's loose on the transmission.

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does the same exact thing. I had originally brought it in for that, but they found a cracked piston (?) and ended up replacing the entire longblock. Got the truck back and it STILL did the same thing. Dealer said they have no clue and to continue driving it until something breaks. I have barely any oil consumption and truck runs awesome, so I just ignore it.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 does exactly the same thing. It has done that since I got it, now with 36k miles.

OP
OP
Dachuri

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for confirming I’m not the only jerk shaking a can of bolts every time I fire it up. Appreciate everyone’s feedback.