Tire Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quiet highway and very aggressive can't be in the same sentence.

I'm not sure there is another C Rated in that size, there is D, I think that may be the 'custom' tire development to help with ride quality, braking, MPG, etc between Ford and BFG. And that gave the C rated tire.

There is some minor trade off for the heavier tire based on your first post saying I need something that has road worthy, won't hum on the highway but has decent bite for snow and light off road. But an E rating isnt going to be very detrimental in that driving you say, just don't run the whoops.

Go for the looks, be happy.

There is a unicorn tire, I wouldn't recommend it. lol

not-pictured-unicorn-tires-other-models-the-narwahl-and-the-griswold-photo-308371-s-1280x782.jpg

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sprung, un sprung bong, bing, boo... ya i account for the 10ish lb more rt tire weight with a 7ish lb lighter wheel than stock bead wheel. so 46-47lb stock wheel to 39lb wheel i'll put both on a scale today and see how much unsprung weight my girl will need to carry :ROFLJest: it maybe 20lb total at most more than stock and if she can't handle that i need a new ho

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are very helpful.

Earlier in the thread Scott pointed out the Goodyear Duratec tires.

As much as I don't want to look like Dodge and Jeep....

He may be on to something.... so load rating is a D.... weight is about the same..... they are snowflake rated which is big for me in the northeast... and I think they look a little more aggressive than the BFG KO2.

Does anyone have an opinion of them? How do they drive? How is their traction light off road? Deep snow?

Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guy, you should probably go ask this one in either the g1 or general off roading forums. None of the Gen 2 owners will have viable experience with the other tires mentioned of any practical and long term value. The 2014 and prior Rap owners will have some practical experience with some of the other tires out there.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

He may be on to something.... so load rating is a D.... weight is about the same..... they are snowflake rated which is big for me in the northeast... and I think they look a little more aggressive than the BFG KO2.

Does anyone have an opinion of them? How do they drive? How is their traction light off road? Deep snow?

Thanks

Guy, you should probably go ask this one in either the g1 or general off roading forums. None of the Gen 2 owners will have viable experience with the other tires mentioned of any practical and long term value. The 2014 and prior Rap owners will have some practical experience with some of the other tires out there.

As smurfslayer notes, there are a LOT of guys who run Duratracs on their Gen 1s. They are very good all around tires, particularly good in winter conditions, and I definitely agree they are far better looking than the BFGs. I recently helped a friend buy a Jeep and those are the tires I put her on:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f42/2017-wrangler-unlimited-help-needed-52314/index2.html#post1108537

There's lots of threads on tires in the Gen 1 sections. A quick search for Duratrac should yield a bunch of results.

As for me, I run Toyo MTs on my truck. I've found them to be great in deep snow (I go to the catskills/VT a lot). I suspect they wouldn't be the best on hard pack or ice, but aside from studs or chains, what is any good on ice anyway? They are heavy, as others have mentioned (probably 25 pounds more than BFGs) and, yes, knowing you're losing some performance does weigh on your mind (pun intended). Completely non scientific, but my dyno guy estimated my truck put down 30 less at the rear because of the Toyos. I think they ride great but my philospohy has always been to roll "slow and low" in the Raptor. By that I mean I run low air pressure and tend not to drive real fast on the street. To me these things just aren't sports cars and I try to drive accordingly. Do be advised that the bigger issue with heavier tires is really that the additional rotational mass will slow your braking (and on a truck with already weak brakes).

To me the trade offs are worth it, though. The confidence you get off road (and on road, really) from the Toyo's far better puncture resistance is great. I also think they are the best looking tires (see below).

That said, if I were going to go to an AT, I would definitely run the Duratracs. My brother has been running MTs for many years (think he's on his 4th straight set). But after seeing my friend's Jeep he's going to run Duratracs next time around, partially because he's moving to Minnesota and wants the better snow/ice performance.

Attachments

• IMG_7978.jpg
    IMG_7978.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 135

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so damn i'm good. gen2 stock bead wheel/tire without bead ring is 104lb, my roto wheel wit toyo rt is 108lb. so 16lb total unsprung. think it can handle it

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so damn i'm good. gen2 stock bead wheel/tire without bead ring is 104lb, my roto wheel wit toyo rt is 108lb. so 16lb total unsprung. think it can handle it

Yeah 4 pounds per tire isn't going to be noticeable. You're fine.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score

I run them on my FJ. Light off-road good to go. Mud, a little better than the BFG's but still not as good as a true mud tire. Deep snow, good to go. At least as good if not slightly better than BFG's. Rainy roads, good to go. Ice, flat out suck. When new, nice and quiet. Mine currently have about 30k on them and they are getting loud on the highway. I won't have the FJ long enough to replace them. If I did I would likely go back to BFG's.

Thanks

I run them on my FJ. Light off-road good to go. Mud, a little better than the BFG's but still not as good as a true mud tire. Deep snow, good to go. At least as good if not slightly better than BFG's. Rainy roads, good to go. Ice, flat out suck. When new, nice and quiet. Mine currently have about 30k on them and they are getting loud on the highway. I won't have the FJ long enough to replace them. If I did I would likely go back to BFG's.