Tire Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on man...

It's a raptor... laying a little rubber is part of the fun!

You're not gonna beat the KO2. But frankly, after having probably 6 sets, you're getting far too little mileage from them, in my experience. The KO2 is mind blowingly better than the first version T/A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT's are great. Only so so on the hard packed snow/ice. Great in the deep stuff. They wear pretty well too. Mine have about 20k on them and they're easily 60-70% tread. The Ridge is also a great tire, quiet, better in the snow than the RT but I'm not certain on the wear. It's supposed to be similar to the RT but Nitto didn't put a mileage warranty on them so I'm skeptical. Another nice hybrid tire is the Cooper ST Maxx. I've heard they wear pretty well too.

What's your opinion on MT's in the snow/ice? I have Nitto Trail Grapplers on now, thinking about going to an RT for the Minnesota winter. Packed snow/ice + bitter cold has me questioning the MT choice for winter.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott,

You don't sell tires too do you?

RT's are great. Only so so on the hard packed snow/ice. Great in the deep stuff. They wear pretty well too. Mine have about 20k on them and they're easily 60-70% tread. The Ridge is also a great tire, quiet, better in the snow than the RT but I'm not certain on the wear. It's supposed to be similar to the RT but Nitto didn't put a mileage warranty on them so I'm skeptical. Another nice hybrid tire is the Cooper ST Maxx. I've heard they wear pretty well too.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What's your opinion on MT's in the snow/ice? I have Nitto Trail Grapplers on now, thinking about going to an RT for the Minnesota winter. Packed snow/ice + bitter cold has me questioning the MT choice for winter.

They're kinda in the same boat as the RT. They don't have the siping sufficient for confidence on the hard pack. I mean, ran them this last winter in Tahoe/Reno which was near record snowfall for us but they create a lot more pucker moments than necessary. I think the Ridge is the better choice between the RT and Nitto Trail.

Scott,

You don't sell tires too do you?

We do but shipping kills a tire only deal. If it were a package we can be pretty competitive but places like Tire Crawler, Discount Tire etc have the best tire prices. Personally I'd go to a local tire store that price matches. That way if you have any issues you're not stuck shipping a tire back for warranty.

Jred2255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're kinda in the same boat as the RT. They don't have the siping sufficient for confidence on the hard pack. I mean, ran them this last winter in Tahoe/Reno which was near record snowfall for us but they create a lot more pucker moments than necessary. I think the Ridge is the better choice between the RT and Nitto Trail.

Any tire you would recommend with the proper siping that doesn't kill the look of the truck (especially coming from Trail Grapplers)?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Any tire you would recommend with the proper siping that doesn't kill the look of the truck (especially coming from Trail Grapplers)?

That's a tough one. We had some local customers throw a lot of praise on the Ridge Grapplers this last winter. It might be the best compromise for good looks/decent hard pack and ice performance. If not you're back to BFG's, Duratracs, Exo Grapplers etc... The Falken Wildpeak AT3 has a nice sidewall but the tread is still mild.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Guy,

it’s like anything else you would buy - what are you planning to do with it?

One of the things you should consider in the next buy is how much the tires weigh and what you want to do with the truck.

If I remember correctly for the size the stock tires are at the bottom end of the scale for tire weight and every pound you add with another type of tire is a pound of unsprung weight that will negatively affect the ride quality and suspension actuation. Will it be enough to notice?

If you are mall crawling, no. poor quality roads like, say, Detroit ‘burbs and such, yeah, you will notice. Low speed mud and sand? probably not. Higher speed, more bouncy terrain? Yeah, you’ll notice.

I suspect that you’re paying the Raptor tax here, as you pointed out, laying a little rubber is part of the fun... 5700 pounds over 500+ foot pounds of torque.

Something’s gotta give.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smurf

Nitto weighs 10 lbs per tire more.

That is 15 percent heavier.

I'll be honest I have no idea if that is significant or not?

Can someone chime in? Is that a small increase or a significant one? You raise a great point.

Guy