Tips for Pike’s Peak Highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Seems too late but I just saw this, was gonna say they have the top pretty much closed for construction due to lack of space and shuttle ppl up the last part. I would recommend being there before they open at the gate so you don’t follow a bunch of really slow cars the whole way and could possibly drive to the top. But I’m usually racing a motorcycle up and don’t want to follow 911 in his Prius the whole way....

I get ppl being a bit nervous above tree line on some of those switchbacks, but, being a Colorado native, I will say those are improved roads. Should of seen them back in the day, ha, that was some dicey Shit. For brakes you just go into a lower gear and coast down with maybe a little braking in the tight turns.

Hope you enjoyed it though and come back soon! Colorado is world class.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So in 2018 some dude raced up in just under 8 minutes? That’s one of those records I can’t even comprehend. I don’t know if I could drive around my block in 8 minutes.

Frogger22

Reaction score
Carlin Dunne Set the motorcycle record the last few years Riding for Ducati till he died at the peak last year about to set the world record again.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carlin Dunne Set the motorcycle record the last few years Riding for Ducati till he died at the peak last year about to set the world record again.

Yes that was a real tragedy. Almost to the top. He was a CLASS act.

Sam

Frogger22

Reaction score
Yes that was a real tragedy. Almost to the top. He was a CLASS act.

Sam
A good man all around! It’s hard to watch but he actually has his trip to Pikes peak documented day to day on his YouTube channel...I’d recommend a watch but tough stuff :(

Lacajun25

Reaction score
I drove Pikes Peak in my Gen 1 over Labor Day. It’s a paved road and you won’t have any issues with width. I had to take it slow since my kids get carsick easily and I didn’t want to have any clean up issues. Hopefully you don’t get stuck behind some other slow driver. Nice views, but there was never a moment where I was concerned going up or down. Drop down to 1st and 2nd for the descent. Stop at Devils playground for some great pictures and views; views at the top are ruined by all the construction they’re doing. IMO skip the food at the top, snack bar quality at best. Donuts were meh.

They will check your wheel temps at a stop on the way down. I had to stop even though I barely used the brakes coming down. Not a big deal, kids had to use the bathroom.

I highly recommend Garden of the Gods for views and hiking. Marigold cafe has great food and is close to Garden of the Gods.

Cave of the winds is also a great place to visit/tour.

We drove Rampage Road trail but it was really just a dirt road with a lot of switchbacks. Not particularly interesting, so we turned around about halfway.

Unfortunately, I wish I had more time to find other trails but it wasn’t possible this trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk