Tips for Pike’s Peak Highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a mountain road. Nothing a Civic couldn't make.

Enjoy it. Neat drive.

Sam
Yep, and a Civic would be a much less nerve racking drive. A lighter, smaller vehicle would be much more forgiving.

Being an East-coaster, Pike’s is a bit more intimidating than a normal “mountain road”. Look at the reflection in my side view; there was like 8” between the white line and certain death.
E61A1B58-1BEC-4247-AA24-AA1961720B18.jpeg

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, and a Civic would be a much less nerve racking drive. A lighter, smaller vehicle would be much more forgiving.

Being an East-coaster, Pike’s is a bit more intimidating than a normal “mountain road”. Look at the reflection in my side view; there was like 8” between the white line and certain death.
View attachment 153746

Nice!!! Good job.

Sam

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admit it was intimidating going up, felt like tires were right on the edge. Once at the top I worried the whole time I would get light-headed and would be unable to drive back down. Couple of doughnuts later I felt better. Guess I was worried I would get stuck up there. Scariest part was thinking of my wife or teenagers trying To drive my Raptor back down.
The drive down was a blast. Put it in descent mode at a quick pace and simply steered through the twist.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 153746

I've wondered why these "pay" roads aren't better equipped with guard rails? We recently went up Mt. Washington and cost like $60 for the family and there were many places where guard rails would've provided some peace of mind.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered why these "pay" roads aren't better equipped with guard rails? We recently went up Mt. Washington and cost like $60 for the family and there were many places where guard rails would've provided some peace of mind.
I’m with @SSWIM on the guardrails. That’s part of the experience.

What’s descent mode? Is that the low-speed trail cruise control thing?

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I previously thought it was like a cruise control setting where it used the engine and gravity to keep speed constant versus riding brakes.
The Ford website says it toggles the anti locks to keep speed constant on inclines. As I recall it felt to me like it was using the engine, like downshifting in an automatic. But it worked well. Set it and just steer.
Someone above mentioned using the paddle shifters to do the same thing, I want to try that next time.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I previously thought it was like a cruise control setting where it used the engine and gravity to keep speed constant versus riding brakes.
The Ford website says it toggles the anti locks to keep speed constant on inclines. As I recall it felt to me like it was using the engine, like downshifting in an automatic. But it worked well. Set it and just steer.
Someone above mentioned using the paddle shifters to do the same thing, I want to try that next time.
No. You can lock out gears starting at the top using the button on the shifter. Trail control is a low speed thing and it uses the brakes quite a bit.

Oh. Well there you go. I just locked out gears, but I think that was the ticket. Even on the Pike’s grades, 1st gear topped out at about 18mph/3500ish rpm. 2nd gave me another 10mph or so. Brakes only came on when I told them to.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found this one in the stack.
Look at where the guardrail ends. That’s some We-in-Colorado,-hold-my-beer type ********, right there.

DFE4CD21-5E68-4F43-B76F-4AAFA5713051.jpeg