Throttle stuttering on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good argument. This CAI actually doesn't increase the intake noise. IMO the dedicated smooth 3.5" metal tubes, one for each turbo help the turbos get more air earlier. Less restriction and more flow is mire air to the turbos and engine, similar to dual 3" exhaust with lowcrestriction mufflers. More airflow through the engine is always good. I can smoke both rear tires off the line and chirp them going into 2nd on WOT from dead stop in normal mode. Truck could not do that before this aFe CAI. After mid range, no difference until I put on my Flowmaster 40's true dual and tune. Then will go track and Dyno her.

I've put CAI's from other manufacturers on other cars and trucks with no effect other than sound so yea, I know what you mean. I didnt pay $800+ for this, got it for 35% off last year.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm sure there is a difference in your head. If your ears hear it, then it's true... The max CFM difference means exactly zero/zilch/nada, unless the engine is pulling more than the airbox can flow, which is NOT the case. You are a marketers perfect customer. One who doesn't think past the advertised data.

I'm not a hater of anything, but liberal idiots and false statements whether intentional or not. Enjoy your intake, just don't try to sell it as some actual improvement in anything other than lightening your wallet, and satisfying your quest for bling.

What's with "Liberal Idiots" comment?! Are we in 8th grade again? You are making some bad assumptions dude. What does my post have to do with Politics? OMG!

Jeez, if you guys don't want to hear what people ate doing to their Raptors than never mind. Don't dis me for putting on a CAI that works. Im satisfying my quest for FUNCTION. If you don't like CAIs or aFe thats your choice. I'm not selling anybody anything, just sharing my mods. If you dont think it works I'll see you at the light. Turbos work by sucking in more intake air and boosting compression. More air to the Turbos is good. I researched all the CAI's for Raptors before buying this one. The specs and design are the best out there for Turbo Ecoboost IMO.

Don't be a Sasquatch

YBA H8R?

Laterz!

Last edited:

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be a peace maker or jump in the middle of anything, but believe he was simply saying there are two things he hates:

1) Liberal idiots
2) False statements (including false advertising)

Poorly placed comma in his post could lead one to believe it was a personal attack, but based on his other comments don’t believe that to be the case.

— break, break —

Tapping out as mediator...

Re: this CAI, and CAIs in general, I’m a big fan. However, I think it’s been proven pretty conclusively by a number of tuners and vendors (many on this site) who would (and will) happily sell you a CAI, that an intake alone does nothing to add power on our trucks. Limiting factor/bottle neck is the stock turbos... not the intake, exhaust, or any of the other usual mechanisms we’ve probably all used on one vehicle or another to add power.

God knows I’d love an easy fix like an intake to boost power...

A tune at the ragged edge of the performance curve will likely make a higher flowing (rate and/or total cfm) intake slightly more effective, but in general I’d be extremely surprised to see more than a couple horsepower added by the best intake out there.

YMMV though... Remember, I’m just a guy on the internet.

Last edited:

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, got it already. I must be living in an alternate reality?

So you are all saying that any intake upgrade on any stock vehicle that improves airflow into the engine does nothing? Hmmmmm...

You missed my points:

1. I see the extra power in low to mid range RPM. More air sooner to the Turbos will give more power sooner to the engine. Once the Turbos get to their max boost and airflow in then there is no additional benefit - CORRECT.

2. I am adding dual Flowmaster 40's 3" in/out with custom 3" catback dual exhaust system soon. More freeflowing exhaust.

3. Then I'll add a Tune to max the turbos, etc.

More Air In, more Air out, more Turbo Boost will definetly increase my torque and HP. The CAI is step one.

You guys are welcome to live in your reality and I'll live in mine. But don't sling crap at me if you disagree with the performance I'm seeing with my mod. I'm not dis-ing anyone for their opinions or mods so please do the same.

I would love to see you at the light and then In my review mirror.

Aloha, HT

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Flowmaster 40s aren't exactly known as a good muffler for a turbo setup. I'd say quite the opposite.

I think the dual filter idea is great. If it fits, why not? You are reducing the restriction by reducing the CFM through each filter. At WOT, the engine is moving a non-insignificant bit of air. Yea, it's mostly a waste of money power wise, but **** man- how much money are we talking about here, compared to the price of the truck, plus fuel and insurance?

I refuse to run those K&N type filters because they actually filter like shit compared to paper. Amsoil has a synthetic media cone filter that at least you cannot see sunlight coming through like the K&N/S&B filters. Go ahead, look into the inside of the filter and then look at the sun. "A thousand points of light". That's a whole other thread though...

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
….. I must be living in an alternate reality? So you are all saying that any intake upgrade on any stock vehicle that improves airflow into the engine does nothing? Hmmmmm…

I'm not saying that at all. I only comment on specific setups that I'm SURE of, like the F-150 3.5 EB Raptor, the 1.6 EB Fiesta ST, the 2.0 EB Focus ST, and the 2.3 EB Focus RS. These I'm SURE gain nothing other than noise from aftermarket "cold" air intakes.

You guys are welcome to live in your reality and I'll live in mine.

Finally! That's great as long as you don't tout your reality as "real", just keep it to yourself unless you have something objective to post, not "feels".

I would love to see you at the light and then In my review mirror.

Yeah, sorry for you, but that wouldn't be the outcome unless I was turning anyway.

My comments in bold italics for emphasis...

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster 40s aren't exactly known as a good muffler for a turbo setup. I'd say quite the opposite.

I think the dual filter idea is great. If it fits, why not? You are reducing the restriction by reducing the CFM through each filter. At WOT, the engine is moving a non-insignificant bit of air. Yea, it's mostly a waste of money power wise, but **** man- how much money are we talking about here, compared to the price of the truck, plus fuel and insurance?

I refuse to run those K&N type filters because they actually filter like shit compared to paper. Amsoil has a synthetic media cone filter that at least you cannot see sunlight coming through like the K&N/S&B filters. Go ahead, look into the inside of the filter and then look at the sun. "A thousand points of light". That's a whole other thread though...

Yea, I refuse to use those those K&N type oiled filters too. The oil can get onto the MAF Sensor and some dealer service will blame sensor problems on oiled filters. I ordered my CAI with the paper cone filters instead of the oiled ones. aFe claims the oiled filter media gives 92% better air flow than stock. Must by all that air coming through the 1000 points of light!

As far as the Flow Master 40's, yes they are not optimum for performance, not enough back pressure. But I'm going for their sound. I had a Flowmaster 40 on my old 98 Chevy S10 ZR2 Vortec 3.8 V6 and everyone thought it was a V8. After I get the exhaust done I'll post pics along with before and after sound clips.

Aloha, HT

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm sure there is a difference in your head. If your ears hear it, then it's true... The max CFM difference means exactly zero/zilch/nada, unless the engine is pulling more than the airbox can flow, which is NOT the case. You are a marketers perfect customer. One who doesn't think past the advertised data.

I'm not a hater of anything, but liberal idiots and false statements whether intentional or not. Enjoy your intake, just don't try to sell it as some actual improvement in anything other than lightening your wallet, and satisfying your quest for bling.

Hey Forzda 1,

Just to show you I am not biased to aFe, here's a video review on another CAI for Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost. Please note what the reviewer says after the 10 second sound clip "The engine will retune itself (learn) the higher airflow from the CAI and increase power to match it..."

There's way too much data out there to say that CAI's do nothing for performance.

No hard feelings.

Aloha, HT