Thoughts on the Diamondback Switchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The cover is only held on by 4 clamps. I wouldn't buy it personally cause I have gear mounted under my HD that I couldn't do with that.
Can you elaborate on “4 clamps” ? Do you also mean the quick fist clamps for a shovel, axe gear bags on the underside of the cover? It’s listed as a toolbar on the website? I want to mount a shovel, my freedom rope and maybe an axe underneath for sure but it looks like you need the HD model to have two of the tool bars?

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
If the DB cover is closed and locked can the remote/auto tailgate still function up and down?
Like I said in my review of it. You can adjust how tight/snug My tailgatei sits against the tailgate. Mine will open when the lid is closed but it will put excessive wear on your weather stripping.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like I said in my review of it. You can adjust how tight/snug My tailgatei sits against the tailgate. Mine will open when the lid is closed but it will put excessive wear on your weather stripping.
But the weather stripping is something easily replaced if worn out correct? I do my own work (with in reason) and I’m not scared of replacing weather stripping to be able to have the auto tail gate work correctly. I have to open and close it at all military check points in Baja along with coming back across the border.

Stan G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're still looking for an SE, I'm selling mine.

Sparda1123

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on “4 clamps” ? Do you also mean the quick fist clamps for a shovel, axe gear bags on the underside of the cover? It’s listed as a toolbar on the website? I want to mount a shovel, my freedom rope and maybe an axe underneath for sure but it looks like you need the HD model to have two of the tool bars?
No. The cover is clamped to the bed with 4 claps (2 on each side of the center portion). My gear mounting solution is something separate I did using their Molle racks which only work with the HD cover. If your going to replicate what I did, you'll need to riv nut the panels in your install. Contrary to what is listed on their site, the rubber well nuts provided are NOT rated for the weight. Ask me how I know.

Attachments

• 20230320_172350.jpg
    20230320_172350.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230320_172419.jpg
    20230320_172419.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I didn't think I wanted to go as far as the Mollie Racks. I think the SE is going to still be the best choice for me. I will report back and update this thread once I get it in and do the installation. Appreciate everyone's advice. If the switchback were such a good new product, I feel like the forums would be talking it up immediately. I like having shocks that open my rear. rather than folding it up anyway.