Thoughts on 2017 Raptor Shudder?...still

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan096

Reaction score
Tell your dealer to use there vibration analizer,it will pinpoint wheel,driveline,engine,called EVA if they didn't do it already. All dealers have one.

OP
OP
HunyaKitti

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m intrigued by @Hockster’s suggestion.

- does it shudder at idle, or revving with no load?
- is the shudder proportional to either rpm or speed?
- and difference in drive mode, particularly 2 vs 4 wheel drive?

All of this is great fodder for bench mechanics, but as you probably know, auto mechanics greatly resent self diagnosing customers. If you tell an auto mechanic you have a set of symptoms, and suspect a broken part it’s an almost guarantee that is the last thing looked at.

Can you put a go-pro or other cam under the truck and record the driveshaft?

If you’re able to get video, I would test with video in the engine compartment, driveshaft, each wheel well, possibly the transfer case areas, then get some in cabin video.

Call Ford corporate and the them you want a resolution, that you need to have a competent dealer look at the truck, diagnose the problem and fix it. You’ve given the dealers several tries, now you have video showing the problems, no more cheaping out saying ‘can’t replicate’.

DO NOT modify the truck. Once you start with the mods, it makes diagnostics more difficult and gives Ford an easy out.
Not the best since my phone has video stabilization on, but you can see the truck shaking my arm that's resting on the center console.

https://youtu.be/7jg6m43hubo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not the best since my phone has video stabilization on, but you can see the truck shaking my arm that's resting on the center console.

https://youtu.be/7jg6m43hubo

I couldn’t get much out of that. If you have the sunroof you could use a suction cup mount to help illustrate. I’d say you want to see the steering wheel as best we can, and like in this video have some bottled water where we can clearly see the level.

OP
OP
HunyaKitti

HunyaKitti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell your dealer to use there vibration analizer,it will pinpoint wheel,driveline,engine,called EVA if they didn't do it already. All dealers have one.
I have another service appointment tomorrow and will ask them about it, thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

I couldn’t get much out of that. If you have the sunroof you could use a suction cup mount to help illustrate. I’d say you want to see the steering wheel as best we can, and like in this video have some bottled water where we can clearly see the level.
These were old videos, here is another. The beginning shows the normal water level. I can't put anything without a sealed lid if I go uphill; the truck will throw all of the liquid out. Tomorrow will be better to capture since I'll actually prepare for video.

https://youtu.be/gTuv382H7Us

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As smurf said just reading a symptom is at most 10% accuracy . For me if I drove it I most likely tell you 90% what it was. Revving it in neutral might not cause the load needed to make it shutter. The shutter might come from the pressure generated when the converter pushes fluid under the load. Maybe a slight brake torque might be needed to keep the converter under load.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to wager a guess as to what's causing the shudder but I would echo the earlier comment, I would not put a single aftermarket part on this truck until it's fixed. Guaranteed they will just blame the issue on the aftermarket stuff and you'll never get it resolved by a dealer.

BigBadNIN

Reaction score
I wouldn't be worried about invoking the lemon law. Sometimes it's all that's left. You just have to be sure it's what you want and stick to your guns because the last thing a manufacturer wants to do is write you a fat check. Also don't be afraid to throw around the idea of suing because that usually grabs people's attention real quick. Sometimes even the threat of it will magically get people to take you seriously and work harder to correct a problem.

We had to with a Yukon Denali that had a host of problems with. Best decision I ever made, and I will never buy another GM product moving forward.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Nope.

I had a bent wheel on an old Ford Exploder, but it was easily isolated, vibes very noticeably reduced when the wheel was rotated to the rear.